Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ham Radio Fishing Net

31 mile contact from Tillamook State Forest to Deer Island, Oregon. Caused by me signing into a net found on a waterfall.
    https://youtu.be/IFDyLnwpRIo

As long as my truck is mobile, or I can remove the radio from the truck and drag it half way up a hill, I can probably make contacts 50 miles away on a regular basis, no issues. I’d imagine if I was atop somewhere like Mt Hood, I could probably pull 60-75 mile contacts.

the trick is, you gotta be mostly line of sight. This means, when the international space station flies overhead, you can also contact them! Might be handy to know, during an emergency.

next time, I’ll try going back into a canyon where I catch donkey fish under some trees and behind some granite and see how I do when I’m buried.

this will be really interesting! I still don’t have a high frequency radio. Just VHF and UHF. Line of sight.

when I go to high frequency (HF), the radio signals are bounced off layers of the atmosphere called the ionosphere, and reflected back down to earth. You can jump up to 2500 miles with this type of communication,, and then skip it back and fourth between the earth surface and ionosphere. Traversing continents, to hear your own voice echo Back to you as it circles the earth!

but we aren’t there yet. Let’s see if I can make a contact when buried on VHF and UHF, next.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-12-2021 at 09:28 PM.

I am, however, ready to take the next level test. Once I can find a sanctioned event. Scoring up in the 90’s on the “General Exam” just about every attempt. Soon we may be dipping toes into HF.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A207DAFB-BE51-4462-B947-670DA5B03FC9.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	53191

Can you imagine?

”mayday mayday this is Kilo Juliette 7 Whiskey Zulu Tango Over!”

“Yes uhhhm, Casey? Right? This is the ISS we were just passing by and figured we’d respond to your mayday, what seems to be the issue?!”

”yeah I blew a tire while catching donkeys in the snow. Can you phone the sherrif and send my coordinates? Thanks!”
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-12-2021 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    Can you imagine?

”mayday mayday this is Kilo Juliette 7 Whiskey Zulu Tango Over!”

“Yes uhhhm, Casey? Right? This is the ISS we were just passing by and figured we’d respond to your mayday, what seems to be the issue?!”

”yeah I blew a tire while catching donkeys in the snow. Can you phone the sherrif and send my coordinates? Thanks!”
    "Ok, firing Retro-thrusters and dropping outta orbit"

Aright!
    just about ACED the General Ham license test just now. Only missed one question of 35.
    I’m now legal to use High Frequencies. (Which are actually lower than the frequencies I was already legalized to use! Lol.)
    NOW we’re playing with full power and spectrum.

to be continued.

I also got some very good FULL VIDEO of me participating in the Timber Repeater Fiahong Net while 30 miles in the woods, also proving its out of cell reception with my cellphone on the video.

I’ll post the videos soon. I don’t get to stop traveling anymore....

of course this probably means we will have to spend $2g’s on gear and contact Australia. Problem is, nobody has any HF radios available due to chip shortages.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-15-2021 at 11:50 AM.

https://youtu.be/FqQlHSdGTyY

There's the 8 minute clip of me participating in the Ham Radio fishing Net with a beer and some sushi while 30 miles deep in the woods.

The campsite from that night. Had the trailer, the dog and a nice fire going. 30 miles back down a winding dirt road.
    Nobody goes there. Tons of free fire wood all over. Roll up and BONFIRE.
    https://youtu.be/rq_8s4mugRg

OOOOOooooooohhhhwheeee!
    Have I got a hell of a surprise for ya'll.
    Get ready to start speaking with an accent. We broke the 2G budget limit.

Alright, ladies.
    $2500 later we can call Pluto.

I contacted Utah from Oregon today, California last night and I have been listening in on Japan and Indonesia.
    I’ll get some more evidence soon. Perhaps even touch base with said countries.

here is the big Japanese motorized mechanical antenna I was talking about:
    https://youtu.be/UbgkcRijeSM

and here is my solar powered off grid trailer powering my HF Yaesu FTDX10 fine Japanese radio!
    I didn’t even realize it all these months but it appears I built a solar radio shack. It just materialized today.
    https://youtu.be/1WdMAjPovHw

They jabber a bit different on HF than they do on VHF/UHV. As soon as I learn to squawk like the birds, I’ll record it. This computerassed radio can do things like that. Along with plugging in a mouse, keyboard and monitor

I am also in the process of applying for a new, shorter call sign, and I have moved my call sign to a PO Box. So you can’t all track me down, so easily.

The shorter call sign helps make people actually want to talk to me more on HF. Easier to remember and contacts on Hf can be quicker because “band” conditions fade in and out and change from one area to another.
    If it’s dark in LA but light in Florida, one band may be open in Florida tha is not yet open in LA until the sun comes up, or similar.

Anyway, I got some adrenaline when calling out on HF my first few times in the middle of nowhere and watching the $2500 investment work it’s magic. Like plug and play, man. Plug and play. So cool.

i did not plan to have a solar powered HF Radio fishing shack. But indeed, I do.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-23-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast