Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Working from the Colorado River

Default Working from the Colorado River

March and April are upon us!

The months where we all become Bassmasters Classics Champions.

Instead of perusing the locals for the Spring, I took off a few days to work from home and fish a few desert lakes. Had a few Zoom conference calls on the shore, did some 4x4ing to find access, hiked a few trails and got into some good smallmouth and largemouth action.

4.5 outta 5.

Would do again.
    Last edited by DarkShadow; 04-11-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Ugh. Na na Na na!

red eyes in the clear waterrrrrrrr.

I still haven’t hit the Colorado just right, just yet! Get ‘er done. Get stuck in the sand, Son!

im EYEing the SNAKE any day now..
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-12-2021 at 09:20 PM.

Hello DS, coincidentally my wife and I went fishing along the Colorado River 6 days ago (Monday), for panfish and it was wide open. (It usually only took a few seconds to get a bite.) We also kept catching those pesky long, thin sunfish like the ones in your video. The largest Redear was 12 inches long and very fat, and another was close to that size. The place where we fished looked similar to your video, by the way, but definitely not the same.

I don't even own a video camera, but I wished we had one and just filmed the fishing uncut. The fishing was that good.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 04-18-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    We also kept catching those pesky long, thin sunfish like the ones in your video. The largest Redear was 12 inches long and very fat, and another was close to that size.
    lol @ "pesky long thin sunfish"

I'm curious where you were. Both areas I fished were 'lakes' and didn't see one panfish. And fishing the actual river?! I would stare at the river proper from my room in Laughlin and couldn't imagine how you could cast a line with all the lake lice. I'd be liable to catch a jet ski before i caught a small mouth.

But it was sure beautiful out there. I just over did it in the 100 degree heat with all the hiking and fishing that it took me 3 days of sucking down electrolytes to get me back to normal. Dehydration is no joke. (And drinking beers till the cows came home was probably a not good idea either, if I can be transparent)

Actually, it's on the California side and it's a place that other people have mentioned in this forum before by the name of Aha Quin, so it's not exactly a secret. It is on tribal land but they don't seed to mind anyone who comes for a visit and fishes there. If you want to be really safe, you can buy a tribal fishing permit there. We did see a couple of our fellow fisher people run off from there once by tribal authorities, but that was because they were camping illegally there. Everybody waves hello to us and asks us about the fishing. ;)

I have looked around that area, and discovered that the main fishing area is a deep water, low flow channel of the river itself. It is not a lake, backwater or oxbow. It has clean water fresh from the river, but the main flow seems to be on the Arizona side.

By the way, we caught Redear, Bluegill, Smallmouth, Largemouth, and 1 Channel Catfish. But our trip must have been very well timed, so don't expect it to always be this good. (It has been pretty mediocre when we have gone there in the fall, and zilcho in the winter for instance.) We go there once or twice pretty much every year, but this was one of the 2 best fishing trips we have had to this location.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 04-20-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Actually, it's on the California side and it's a place that other people have mentioned in this forum...
    That's funny...I'm looking at my Google Map way points and I had that specific spot plotted to fish on my way back home. I'm glad that I can check out areas where I know fish will be located just by looking at a satellite image. I marked it because it had easy access, plus it had that channel coming in that wasn't off the main river.

In any case, I think my body temperature is about 2 degrees hotter than normal thanks to that trip.

(Or it could be this Pfizer vaccine I took a few days ago for the fake Covid. Who knows)

You have my strong advice to give this location a try, DS. ;) It's one of my favorite fishing spots in SoCal. I think your homework was on the mark

I found this place just by seeing the sign and deciding to give it a try.