Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Donkey Sorbet 3/26/2021: new jig/float tactics with the new rod

Default Donkey Sorbet 3/26/2021: new jig/float tactics with the new rod

SOB..

After six months I pegged a donkey on the new 9' 2 piece Okuma steelhead rod, Shimano 70HG micro-baitcaster, the 10lb VANISH (non trans), a new AERO-FLOAT AF1 1/8th oz float* and matcing 1/8" spiffy jig I forgot who tied it.

Kept farming trout. Fording creeks for weeks. Sigh. Snow by night, rain by day. Costal mountains perfectly positioned to snow at night and rain at daylight. /not getting any love from MR STEEL..

Was looking at them troutsicles for Troutartar... but this rod doesn't pierce trout lips. Which I had a problem with previously. Interestingly enough. Refused switching out rods. this time.

Put on my damn waders and started hiking up and down the damn steep thorn and fern covered hills yet again. Four damn days before season end, on my favourite damn stretch of cold *** cloudy damn Oregon river.

---------my fuggin' bobber SMASHED under the surface------

"WHACK!" I Said!

It was on. Same pool as last time. I fished it a hundred times and nothing. This bobber. THIS BOBBER!
    SliiiIIIiiiiIIP SLIPP SLIPPPPP!!!! the drag goes more. Tighten it! S(*T! TIGHTEN IT MORE!
    The weight of the fish and the head shakes became apparent as it made it's turn down stream for "the chute".

The dog went wild.

I knew I didn't have much time. I had the new rod. I had the thicker line. I had the thick jig hook. I spent WEEKS finding the fish to bite this combination and it wasn't easy! Now it was time to make it happen. It was time to grow balls and pull on this fish.
    I pulled on the fish. It turned! Up stream it went. To the left I swung my rod and pulled again! Down stream the fish turned again!

I knew I had him. This was it!
    The dog jumped into the water after the fish... as large as the dog! and got a few tails.

HAd to yell at the dog to back off. saw the jig was firmly planted. Realized I could relax. It didn't matter if I caught the fish or not, anymore.
    I had a battle already. I relaxed. The fish relax... and he swam near shore to be unhooked and released before any cameras saw what happened.

as I type this. the adrenaline still flows. better than sex. I had my first cigarette in.... MONTHS!
    phew!

all from the NEW 5x8' solar shed. 30 miles deep. Just as the first bit of sun begins to roll out and the season closes. On my favourite stretch of river in Oregon.

Holy F)*%# S*^T Dopamines all over

* - this made the difference. I promptly went back to the dealer and bought 5 more.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-26-2021 at 08:18 PM.

If I have a heart attack soon, it was totally worth it and I'm satisfied. lol.

I say RAINBOW SORBET, son.. because those DONKEY WILD STEELHEAD look like they from Baskin Robbins!

You better learn to turn they brass before they turn you like a trick!

I got gashes in my thumb from it's teeth worse than the Newport Spottie crew. No joke! no wonder they tear through my 8lb

Fish released itself!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-26-2021 at 08:24 PM.

My phone is broken = have no camera.

I'll include the secret deadly bobber and jig in a later photo.

Dog is my only witness to the rainbow sorbet 2.5-3' monster we caught and subsequently released. IDGAF.

Off Grid, on solar power inverted to 120vac and a cell booster 30 miles deep in the Oregon woods. Love you all! Sharing the adrenaline of weeks worth of work and my payout! Fish weight estimate 8-10lbs. Definitely native. No clipped fins about it.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-26-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Keep smacking 'em TJ!

Glad you're enjoying living off the grid, and on the solar grid when it comes to power.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Keep smacking 'em TJ!

Glad you're enjoying living off the grid, and on the solar grid when it comes to power.
    man, I tell ya what!
    I had all but given up fishing those steelhead jigs and steelhead beads because of how you rig the floats and how crappy they cast.

I got it figured out now.

1/8th oz jig with 1/8th oz aerofloat af1 and it will cast normal, be easily adjustable, still only one knot in your line, no slipping bobber, no swivels no extra weights nothing. All on a bait caster with 10lb line and total of 1/4oz weight!!!
    that IS the ticket if you’re going to fish tiny steelhead jigs on heavy line with these long whippy 9 to 11 foot steelhead rods.

write that one down. That one is worth a giant in the right hands!! Promise.

I fished several different spinners through that same pool for zero bites and then tied on that combo. Took several casts and finally got it perfectly positioned and the bobber went away faster than I ever seen one go under..

seems the jig and bobber combo, when perfected, is even better for finessing the skiddish out of their hole. If you get it right you can park it on their head and it imparts it’s own action.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-27-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Season is about to close in a day or two on this fork of water and I’m heading to Idaho.
    looks like I might be fishing the Snake, soon!
    I’ll come back to Oregon for the steelhead opener on Dec 1st again. After last December, I wouldn’t miss it for the world

wish I had a camera to post some pics. Maybe next time.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-27-2021 at 08:02 AM.

One more thing I learned while back here out of cell reception.

get yourselves a baofeng UV5R radio from amazon/China for $25 and learn to program in repeaters.

I have communication out here via ham radio while my cellphone is dead. You know, in case any of those shady mountain roads drops a rock or caves in. Happens all the time. Also have to bring your chainsaw. So many trees,, only a matter of time before you need it to clear your path. Shovel saves my life weekly.

get a baofeng. Super cheap insurance. Works really well and very tiny. Had it on my belt all day yesterday. Listening to radio and switching back and fourth automatically between radio and ham channels. Super cool.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 03-27-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Headed out again today. Different stretch of river. The Wilson River. Really difficult for me so far. But I’m in for a hike.

slept at a truck stop last night. Had a trucker knock on my door this morning. Was so curious about my 5x8 trailer with solar panels on the roof tha he had to stop and ask what I had inside. Shocked the hell out of him with my build skills. Lol!
    mill have to get you guys some video of my new trailer build. Perhaps today while I’m out fishing. Going to be some sun out there, I think. We will see. Praying. Lol!

Half way through he ham license test course study material.
    should be able to legally transmit on Ham radio eventually. Will be fun while deep in the woods. Bouncing signals around in the ionosphere contacting Russian satellite hackers.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-01-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Holy moly!
    got my first non trout out of Wilson. Only took me a year and a half! on video.
    that’s a tough river. Video coming up.. if I can download my editing software from the middle of the woods tonight..