Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Okuma Makaira 10000 - Spooling Line to Adjusting Drag!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Okuma Makaira 10000 - Spooling Line to Adjusting Drag!

Okuma Focuses On The 4D's! Design! Drive! Drag! Durability!

This is my DREAM RIG! I've wanted a Makaira Spinner since they were announced by John Bretza at iCAST 2016. I still had my 3 Stellas at that time so couldn't afford another solid built heavy hitting spinning reel then. Since that time i've researched what i could find on Okuma's Makaira Spinners. Read all the reviews. Followed all the social media fishing groups. When i was convinced that the Makaira was the spinning reel i was looking for i ended up selling off 2 of my Stellas (and gave the smaller JDM away).

I realized i shouldn't believe everything everything out there until one of my Maui buddies came over to dive & fish with me carrying a Makaira 20000 on a PCH Rod. Yup, he hooked me big time! We were hooking small to medium sized Yellowfin Tunas "Ahi" at the buoys. What a BEAST of a reel! The rest was history. I now have my very own Makaira 10000L Spinning Reel!

From my research most agree the beast rod to compliment the Makaira (yes, beast) was a 1pc PCH Rod also by Okuma. Both pieces were just over $900 including line. Now my dream became reality! So in this presentation i'll cover 2 things.

1) How to remove the spool. Sounds simply? It wouldn't "unscrew" off due to the Drag Set Knob being restrictive in its functions.

2) To fully understand the "lever drag" drag settings involving the Drag Set Knob in conjunction with the Drag Pre-Set Knob.

It's a lot easier to instantly understand these functions once the line was added. Otherwise you're only fingering the spool. I was suppose to have received these items a year ago but the COVID issue changed that. I've ordered a 2nd spool from Okuma. It's not on their website or price list but it can be special ordered if you call the Parts Department.

https://youtu.be/rslhsi6WrqI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Makaira.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	53130