Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lopez Lake trip coming up!

Default Lopez Lake trip coming up!

Hi,
    First week of April I'm planning to go RVing at Lopez with my family. We are starting to buy the gear and stuff for the trip and I was just wondering what gear and baits would you guys recommend. Right now, I have a Daiwa trout rod, a medium rod (like the Walmart "all-purpose rod and reel combo things"), and a Penn saltwater rod and reel. The main species that we are going to go to for are trout (I think they stock a week or two before we go), catfish, and crappie (new species!) haha lol I'm not really a bass guy. What bait and spots would you recommend? We will be renting a boat for one of the days btw.

P.S. We are gonna spend a day at Morro Bay, so some saltwater tips would be appreciated.

Hello Fishish. I am not really a bass guy, either. I have fished Lopez Lake several times (always from shore or piers) and caught a lot of panfish there, as I mentioned before. I have never caught a trout there, but they were not stocking it for years and now they are again. Your first two poles seem fine for Lopez Lake, the third one, perhaps more for Morro Bay. Worms and jigs have worked for me at Lopez, although trout might go for Power Bait or some such.

Regarding Morro Bay, I have fished there a couple of times, too. The southern part of the bay is off limits for fishing or any kind of harvest. The northern part is okay to fish in , but not to harvest other sea life. I wish they would, but they don't let people harvest the rock crab that are sometimes highly numerous there. There are public fishing piers in the fishable part of the bay. We have had good luck at the one that is next to a restaurant which I think is called The Great American Seafood Company, and some luck at the other one too, which is a little farther north. You can also fish from the rocks along the shore. There are a lot of Grass Rockfish around there, and even fish like Lingcod. There are also some sizeable, attractive perch like Striped or Rainbow Seaperch around there. We caught mostly smallish Grass Rockfish, mostly on mussels.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLuckyAngler View Post
    Good luck man! I've always wanted to fish Lopez Lake. Maybe one of these days. Let us know how you did, what worked, what didn't. Thanks in advance.
    Thanks! Going to be at morro 1 day, Pismo beach 1 day, and 4 days at Lopez. They finally are stocking, and am getting reports that the crappie are biting right now.

Never fished it, but
    Heard it’s a good lake!
    Looking at photos-looks
    A little down......

CM

Crappie at Lopez are a blast. My only tip would be...keep moving. The crappie like to school up on structure, once you find one there should be plenty more. But you need to go looking, in my experience they will not "come to you".
    For Morro Bay, if you are into surf fishing for "Barred Perch" the long beach area north of the Rock is good territory for miles. 3" white grubs on a Carolina Rig are a good way to start. And of course you could always hop on a Rockcod party boat for a day - and all of the landings have rent rods if what you have is not sufficient.
    Great time of year to be up in that area. - john

Day 1: fished the docks and caught 1 rainbow on a night crawler & marshmallow also hooked up on a crappie but lost it right at shore (also on night crawler with marshmallows). Spoke to a couple of campers and they had caught a bunch of crappie and they caught them on chartreuse crappie jigs tipped with crappie nibbles. They were also nice enough to take me out tomorrow so hopefully I’ll have a good report.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    Day 1: fished the docks and caught 1 rainbow on a night crawler & marshmallow also hooked up on a crappie but lost it right at shore (also on night crawler with marshmallows). Spoke to a couple of campers and they had caught a bunch of crappie and they caught them on chartreuse crappie jigs tipped with crappie nibbles. They were also nice enough to take me out tomorrow so hopefully I’ll have a good report.

Sounds like your going to have
    A nice day tomorrow!!!!

CM

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    They were also nice enough to take me out tomorrow so hopefully I’ll have a good report.