Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Another trip to Wohlford and another boat limit for us!

Default Another trip to Wohlford and another boat limit for us!

You talk about getting a lake figured out, Boy we got this one figured out to a tee! This adventure was on Thursday March 4, 2021. They had stocked on Wed March 3, so we knew if we wanted to fish the very next day and get a boat. We would need to be there before they opened at 6 am. We arrived at 5:30 am and to our horror we were the 19 car in line. What are these twits and dopes thinking? They can start at boat dock cove, catch a few there and then go to the East end and anchor anywhere and finish off their limits! Sorry it doesn't work that way! If you want to be successful there, you either need to be a Fly fishermen or work it like us and drift your boat till you get the job done! Since the majority of the people won't do that, their kinda wasting their time!

We started off in the morning with very little wind to work with to help drift our boat. So for the first 5 hours of the day we were just bobbing around known good area's of where the fish like to hang out. We already knew the 2 best color of Power bait to use, which is corn and natural green with garlic. So we would get a fish here a fish there but it all started to add up. At 10 am Racer X caught an 6.5 pounder on the Green Garlic bait. 45 minutes later, I caught an identical 6.5 pounder in the same location on the same bait! I had moved the boat 3 times in the mean time, so it was a funny coincidence. Finally about 11 30 am we got some wind to work with. (we had caught 8 trout by then) So catching our next 7 trout only took a little over 2 hours to do it. We ended up with Full boat limits of trout for 3 people. (which is 15 trout) We were one of the few people to do it that day. When never had any double or triples on any of our drifts, but 1 fish at a time. I had to make 30 drifts to catch our 15 trout. But it was worth it, if you saw the quality of our 3 Limits! At the end of the day, I heard that famous excuse bad fishermen use all the time. I don't think they stocked this week. Of the 15 trout we caught, here is a rundown of what baits they ate. 9 on corn flavored Power bait, 4 on the Green Garlic but both of the 6.5 pounders ate that one. 1 on Salmon Peach flavored Power bait and 1 on a pinched crawler.

It rained pretty hard this past week, so I think it muddied up the water pretty good. (that's no Bueno for trout fishing) If it doesn't rain anymore, after the next trout stocking on March 24, it should be another good time to fish the lake.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-16-2021 at 05:20 PM.

wohlford is truly a gem to fish in

and being on the smaller side is easier to cover a lot of surface area in a day
    with great year around trout fishing

i also either go for the slow troll usually with a rapala on the end trout clones d.d's
    or a drift with earthworms or stink bait

never is overly crowded which is the biggest plus

a meter makes deeper water fishing much easier as the trout hang deep just below the thermocline break there especially during the summer

august can be just as good for trout as feb

the best thing there is the fish and chips in the cafe
    especially after a long day of puffing

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    wohlford is truly a gem to fish in

and being on the smaller side is easier to cover a lot of surface area in a day
    with great year around trout fishing

i also either go for the slow troll usually with a rapala on the end trout clones d.d's
    or a drift with earthworms or stink bait

never is overly crowded which is the biggest plus

a meter makes deeper water fishing much easier as the trout hang deep just below the thermocline break there especially during the summer

august can be just as good for trout as feb

the best thing there is the fish and chips in the cafe
    especially after a long day of puffing
    I've got to try the Cafe after I get my jab! (Covid 19 shot) Lake Wohlford is a great lake, besides the trout, the catfishing in the summer is off the hook and it has decent crappie fishing to boot. The bass is the only thing I never figured out, but I did catch 3 good ones last year fishing for crappie!