Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: August 2021 offshore recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default August 2021 offshore recommendations

Hey Guys and Gals,
    I'm getting serious about getting on a multi day boat in august and I want to lock it in now so I don't have excuses to postpone. Any recommendations? Boat? Timeframe? Landing? any info will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by 909er View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,
    I'm getting serious about getting on a multi day boat in august and I want to lock it in now so I don't have excuses to postpone. Any recommendations? Boat? Timeframe? Landing? any info will be appreciated. Thanks!!
    If you want BFT's in Aug, try to book around the Full Moon! When it comes to the boats it's like asking who makes bad pizza. Their all good, some are just better then others. Pick 3 boats that work for you and I'll give you an honest opinion on all of them.

Etucker somes it up pretty good - like asking who makes bad pizza :). Maybe to help you can start narrowing down time frame and your needs. Looking to invest in Long Range (5+days)? You are going to have certain sportfisher boats that cater to that, with staterooms, all meals included, a truly wonderful experience, etc. Looking a more along the lines of overnight/1.5/3 day? Different set of boats (more along the lines of bunks down below and you purchase hamburgers and burritos from the galley when you are hungry). Sometimes referred to as "cattle boats" given that they attempt to pack maximum head count per trip but still lots of fun, I would not discourage anyone. Both have their place and both are good. HOWEVER: One of the things that is entirely unique to our current situation that I would also encourage you to consider - because there is great fishing so close to home (years ago if you were hunting serious pelagics you needed to go on a boat ride) right now many of the true Long Range sportfishers are offering a previously unheard of number of 1.5-3 day trips that never would have been on their books 5 years ago. You can basically have the "Long Range Luxury Experience" but you may very well be fishing the same school of bluefin that the overnight boat is drifting 200 yards away fishing (although with much better food and accommodations, but hey, all that stuff does co$t). It's tough, but start but identifying your needs and budget. Need gear? Some boats have great loaner gear, OR, if you go on a "sponsored trip" (yes, usually more money) you can be on a trip with free loaner tackle from whoever is sponsoring the trip (great if you want to "try before you buy") and usually the sponsored trips are good about "goodie bags" (T-Shirts, hooks, raffles, etc). I apologize I probably left you with more questions than answers, but again - Etucker has it right - everybody has boats they love (or hate). But they are all in the business of making sure you have a good time, and there really is a boat (or trip) for everyone. Nothing is guaranteed, but that is why we call it "fishing", the best you can expect is a good time.

Thanks Fellas. im going to narrow it down with the guys. once i get a date that nobody's on diaper duty then i will lock it in. probably going with a six pack out of san Diego. I'm sure I will be asking a series of stupid questions leading up to it. I appreciate y'alls patience and info.

Got the Cobalt booked for august/ two day trip. Thanks for the input Gents.

Quote Originally Posted by 909er View Post
    Got the Cobalt booked for august/ two day trip. Thanks for the input Gents.
    Isn't that a 6 pack charter boat out of Fisherman's Landing