Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Sierras Visit

Default Eastern Sierras Visit

Headed up to Mammoth a few weeks ago right after the almost 3 meter dump of snow for some R&R and gear testing, although a lot of people don't consider post-holing miles in the snow as Rest or Relaxation. Dragged the fly rods along as usual, and found the usual suspects in the usual places. It was a cold one that weekend, but as the saying goes, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear."

And great views.

Hot Creek fished, and looked as well as I’d ever seen or fished it, but I chalked that up to the fact these fish probably hadn’t seen a sport in the past couple of days. It's a brisk 2 mile hike in snow drifts. That helps keep the chusma out.

OVERLOOKING THE OWENS VALLEY

THE LOCAL ART INSTALLATION

MONO LAKE:

Wow! those views are really something!

I am glad the sierras got a lot of snow. I don't think they have had much since then, though. Hopefully, more is on the way; it has been really dry.

Nice snow pictures.

Wow! Great Pics indeed! Thanks for sharing. 2 miles in the snow?!? You definitely earned it!

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    Wow! those views are really something!
    Thanks FISHISH!

I thought our planning would be completely thrown for a loop because of that major storm, but we got there 'late' enough to have the main roads plowed. Big up to the CalTrans crews! Chains were still necessary for most vehicles, but I really learned a lot about driving in icy/slushy/snowy/wet conditions with my friend's car. Us SoCal boys are wet behind the ears when it comes to driving in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I am glad the sierras got a lot of snow. I don't think they have had much since then, though. Hopefully, more is on the way; it has been really dry.

Nice snow pictures.
    Nat Left,

Yeah, snowpack is still not good even though that storm dumped quite a bit. It dumped so much that during our 'excursion' down to the South Tufa at Mono Lake where it was like walking into a wall of snow, we met up with a Jeep-er (Jeepster? JeepHead? Cmon Jeep guys, chime in, what do you call yourselves?) who had been stranded for 48 hours, because he apparently couldn't listen to a weather report? His Jeep was buried up to the windows. Our inner Good Samaritan was triggered, and we helped him carry his valuable belongings from his Jeep and made the 2 mile trek back out to the Lexus. We drove him to Lee Vining where he was going to call his GF in LA to come pick him up. I wonder how THAT phone call went.....

Quote Originally Posted by ichthus View Post
    Wow! Great Pics indeed! Thanks for sharing. 2 miles in the snow?!? You definitely earned it!
    Yeah, my GPS and watch logged a bit under 8 miles in knee and thigh deep snow for the 2 days that we were there, not counting the trails up to the petroglyphs which didn't have any wintry conditions.

Definitely gets the heart rate up at those altitudes, I tell you what.

Check out the average heart rate.

If you're not getting off the pavement, you're missing out on a lot.

People in the backcountry do tend to help each other. It's in the city with a bunch of other people around that people become reluctant to help (i.e. the "bystander effect.") I am glad you helped that guy in any case.

"Definitely gets the heart rate up at those altitudes, I tell you what."

But I thought going to the mountains was supposed to calm people down.

great post! and beautiful photos... thanks so much for sharing.

Default Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Headed up to Mammoth a few weeks ago right after the almost 3 meter dump of snow for some R&R and gear testing, although a lot of people don't consider post-holing miles in the snow as Rest or Relaxation. Dragged the fly rods along as usual, and found the usual suspects in the usual places. It was a cold one that weekend, but as the saying goes, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear."

And great views.

Hot Creek fished, and looked as well as I’d ever seen or fished it, but I chalked that up to the fact these fish probably hadn’t seen a sport in the past couple of days. It's a brisk 2 mile hike in snow drifts. That helps keep the chusma out.

OVERLOOKING THE OWENS VALLEY

THE LOCAL ART INSTALLATION

MONO LAKE:

Nice to see all the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorsheldon View Post
    Yeah, although I shudder looking at the snow pack in the Sierras at this moment.

Something tells me it's not too good.

LA's gonna have to steal less water this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorsheldon View Post
    Are those markings on the stones old?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast