Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Does anyone know where I can find contour and/or depth maps?

Default Does anyone know where I can find contour and/or depth maps?

For the city ponds throughout SoCal? I fish from the bank mostly so it's not a huge deal, but I'm curious to see how places like Alondra, Echo Park, Fullerton, El Dorado etc are laid out. I use google earth, but I can only guess at how their depth profiles look by using it.

I would check city hall they should have the blueprints for the lakes since they are city owned I would think.

Thanks for the feedback guys - it's greatly appreciated. I tried the Navionics webapp, but their contour maps only seem to be available for big lakes that support boating. I'll see what else I can find. I hit up a couple of city halls as well, so I'll see if any of them pan out.

As a kid I used to fish Echo Park often, hooking up to mostly cats.
    The south end of the lake toward the 101 is deeper... about 30 feet deep.
    Stink bait or small shrimp work well for cats and carp there.

The north end toward Sunset where the lotus flowers grow is shallow at about 10-15 feet deep.
    I would fish this side with worms for bass and nice sized bluegill.

Overall the fishing there is good, but the area can be a bit sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin & Tonic View Post
    As a kid I used to fish Echo Park often, hooking up to mostly cats.
    Stink bait or small shrimp work well for cats and carp there.

The north end toward Sunset where the lotus flowers grow is shallow at about 10-15 feet deep.
    I would fish this side with worms for bass and nice sized bluegill.

Overall the fishing there is good, but the area can be a bit sketchy.
    The entire lake is a giant homeless camp now.

Yeah, the ole Echo Looks like a permanent Woodstock now. The lake is still navigable though, without too much to worry about. Perhaps because I look homeless myself, they won't harass one of their own? Who knows.

The Bucket Biologists did a number with the dumping of fish back into here, unless the DFW did some secret re-stocking that we don't know of, but why would they not give us that information?

In any case, after the draining and the subsequent gentrifying of the lake that happened years ago, they re-did the entire lake bottom so a lot of the contours are flat now, to assist in the filtering and circulation of the pond.

You can go old school and cast your bait and feel how long it takes to get to the bottom as you're walking around. That's what we used to do in many of our city ponds. We'd knew what areas were deep (because that's the part of the lake where the homies would drive their stolen cars into) and we knew what areas were shallow (the spots where you could see the shopping carts and orange traffic cones in the water), ie, 'the spawning areas.'

Quote Originally Posted by Fin & Tonic View Post

30 feet? I dunno about that.....

And I know the spot where the lotus flowers grow was no more than 3 feet deep. I know this because I saw a bum get paid $5 to walk across the entire thing. The water level down to the mud was about 2 feet at the most, and the mud went down another foot.

The stuff you saw growing up in the 80s and 90s at Echo....