Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of baitfish or forage is there at Perris?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

What I am now noticing lately is that these angler surveys may play a bigger role in fishery management than I originally thought. I thought it was someone's summer internship at the DFG, waiting around the hot *** launch ramp at DVL to ask people how much the bite sucked.
    LOL this is soooo true

Kwin, I went to Perris Lake today and I can confirm that I caught a Shimofuri/Chamelion Goby today as an incidental catch. I just checked online. I didn't have a camera but I took a good look at it for a few seconds before putting it back. It was my first of that species, and I always like catching new kinds of fish, even if they are small. It was a pretty little thing. That was the only fish I saw caught. The weather was great today but the fishing was slow. I have caught several of the other species that you mentioned, either at Silverwood or Perris. In addition, I have caught quite a few of what appear to be Sacramento Splittail at Silverwood, but not in recent years.

About the trout in Perris, my experience is that most trout caught in Perris have been of a put and grow nature. They seem to be able to survive the summers in deep water, and sometimes I have caught them and seen others catching them in June or July. A lot of trout were usually caught in the spring too, after a few months of growth, and they grow very fast there. I have always liked catching the "holdovers" there, as do many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MindBendo View Post
    LOL this is soooo true
    DFW - "Why aren't you guys fishing for trout?!"

ANGLER - "Because you haven't stocked any since 2018."

DFW - "Well...if you guys aren't fishing for them, we won't be stocking them, then."

I'm still confused at all this.

This is like me going to Somalia, and telling a starving kid that I won't give him any food because he obviously doesn't like eating.

I believe they were stocking trout when those surveys were done, but I wonder if the surveys adequately accounted for all the trout that were caught there, or the quality of the trout, many of which were 1 - 2 1/2 pound "holdovers." Also, with the water level back up, the trout habitat should be better. Some other fisher people asked me yesterday why they weren't stocking trout. They thought it was because the marina is being remodeled. I told them that I don't think that is the reason, because they could stock trout at the launch ramp if they want to.

By the way, what are the warm water fish habitat improvements that are being implemented, Kwin? The fishing was really good for awhile after the water was raised again. Last year, however, there were hordes of baby Bluegill and Bass, so the numbers were good but not many larger fish or variety being caught from shore, at least. (I only fished from shore and the Sail Cove fishing pier.) I didn't see any Crappie or Redear, for instance. There should be some good fishing when those juvenile fish grow up, though.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 02-24-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    DFW - "Why aren't you guys fishing for trout?!"

ANGLER - "Because you haven't stocked any since 2018."

DFW - "Well...if you guys aren't fishing for them, we won't be stocking them, then."

I'm still confused at all this.

This is like me going to Somalia, and telling a starving kid that I won't give him any food because he obviously doesn't like eating.
    There were 48000 lbs of trout stocked 2009-2011 when the surveys took place. Lots of trout to be caught, little effort expended to catch them & few trout returned to creel. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I believe they were stocking trout when those surveys were done, but I wonder if the surveys adequately accounted for all the trout that were caught there, or the quality of the trout, many of which were 1 - 2 1/2 pound "holdovers." Also, with the water level back up, the trout habitat should be better. Some other fisher people asked me yesterday why they weren't stocking trout. They thought it was because the marina is being remodeled. I told them that I don't think that is the reason, because they could stock trout at the launch ramp if they want to.

By the way, what are the warm water fish habitat improvements that are being implemented, Kwin? The fishing was really good for awhile after the water was raised again. Last year, however, there were hordes of baby Bluegill and Bass, so the numbers were good but not many larger fish or variety being caught from shore, at least. (I only fished from shore and the Sail Cove fishing pier.) I didn't see any Crappie or Redear, for instance. There should be some good fishing when those juvenile fish grow up, though.
    1,484 brush piles, 26 crappie condos, 32 tree stump structures, 109 rock piles, 135 catfish spawning caves, 191,860 sq ft gravel, 13,500 lbs catfish stocked

Oh wow. Thank you for the information, Kwin. There are still tons (literally) of brush in the lake naturally, too, leftover from when the water was lower for such a long time.

By the way, I caught a tagged trout at Perris around that time (somewhere around 2010 but I don't remember exactly), when I was fishing for panfish at Sail Cove. I returned the tag and was informed that it had been stocked only 5 days earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Oh wow. Thank you for the information, Kwin. There are still tons (literally) of brush in the lake naturally, too, leftover from when the water was lower for such a long time.

By the way, I caught a tagged trout at Perris around that time (somewhere around 2010 but I don't remember exactly), when I was fishing for panfish at Sail Cove. I returned the tag and was informed that it had been stocked only 5 days earlier.
    Thank you for returning the tag. The average time at large for tagged trout was 23 days though a few lasted a couple months before reported being caught.

You are welcome. It's interesting that the average time in the lake was less than one month for tagged trout. Before the lake was drawn down for the dam repairs, I think around half of the trout that I saw caught at Perris, or more, looked like they have been in there at least a few months (silvery, large, full finned, with pink meat and delicious if eaten). When the lake was drawn down, however, the trout fishing wasn't nearly as good, but that is when I caught the tagged trout.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 02-26-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    Attachment 53100 I thought that Paris only had pike, perch, zanders, wels catfish, and carp? My understanding is they never stocked and will never will stock trout there.
    Calling it Parris is a slang term people on FNN use for lake Perris! Lol (You will see it used again) Everyone who fish's with me know, I use slang all the time to make the conversations more interesting and Fun. (it's also a way to keep me awake on the long drive home after a full day of fishing) My favorite slang of all time is to call Football "Fossball!" In reference to the Adam Sandler movie "Waterboy" which is one of my favorite movies.

p.s. How do I know Egster is a long time FNN personality with so few post? He is my number 1 fishing partner and his real name is Phil. So in my reports when I use the name Phil, "it's Egster in the FNN world!" Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-28-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast