Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What type of baitfish or forage is there at Perris?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Dark Shadow, I am still wondering where this new habitat structure is.
    It's no where near the tire reefs.

;-)

(Just get yourself an OCD bass angler friend who has Lowrance and you'll be able to see every hump and see every bass calling El Chapo's wife)

Let's not get Kwin sidetracked though.

I'm still excited for an answer to my question on whether DFW is really using decade's old info tho, Left.

the trout stocking back in 2009-2011 and the survey that was held , I remember when they where posting the sign and handing out the cards. I know personally myself I turned in 3 tags and Got the info on the trout I had caught. most where from 1 week to 3 weeks . They even gave incentive to turn them in with a $10 payout for the tag. Sad most people did not turn them in and it was a deciding factor on the future of trout plants. I hope again someday they will stock Perris again.

Thank you Kwin for the update and information you have provided it is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    It's no where near the tire reefs.

;-)

(Just get yourself an OCD bass angler friend who has Lowrance and you'll be able to see every hump and see every bass calling El Chapo's wife)

Let's not get Kwin sidetracked though.

I'm still excited for an answer to my question on whether DFW is really using decade's old info tho, Left.
    in a word, yes. We stocked about 16000 lbs each of the years, we put signs all over the lake advertising the tagged trout program and handed out 3x5 cards with all of the info on it to return the tags. It's really not that old since we really haven't had "normal" hatchery production for at least 5-6 of those years.

To answer your other question regarding the validity of angler surveys, nearly all fisheries agencies utilize angler surveys as they are the most direct user based feedback to determine catch rate, target species and harvest rate among other metrics. Our surveys sample thousands of anglers, so yes IMO they are a valid representation of the anglers using each lake.

I remember the cards and the advertising, Kwin. I think most of the tagged fish didn't have a $10 reward? My fish did not. I figure the differential in return rates between $10 fish and fish with no reward would also give useful information on return rates of the fish, figuring that nearly anyone would return a tag that was worth $10, but perhaps not one that wasn't worth any money.

I presume that when more trout are available, the DFW will begin stocking Perris Lake again.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 03-05-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    ....I figure the differential in return rates between $10 fish and fish with no reward would also give useful information on return rates of the fish, figuring that nearly anyone would return a tag that was worth $10, but perhaps not one that wasn't worth any money.
    And therein lies the problem, Nat Left. If 100 fish are dumped, and 10 of them are tagged, and the only fish reported were the 2 tagged fish are caught, you're getting some pretty misleading data. What data set accounts for the number of trout sitting in people's coolers that were not reported, since they were not tagged, thus removing the incentive to talk to the DFW?

(And at this rate, if the DFW is so confident that there is such a low catch rate of these stocked trouts, tag them all with at $10 reward Something tells me me we see a sudden influx of catch rates then.)

So, essentially, by looking at the data of the 2 tagged trout being reported, anybody can logically state that Perris Lake has a catch ratio of only 2% of the total of fish stocked and nobody can argue that based on the reported numbers.

But is that an accurate representation of catch rates and target species at a lake?

Again, I know the DFW is limited with the amount of real time data they can gather, especially in reservoirs. I wonder if with the advent of technologies like Lowrance's Live Sight and Garmin's Live Scope, if the DFW will add it to their data collection tools to get an even more accurate heart beat of our local fisheries.

I think your scenario should read 100 tagged trout, 10 of which had $10 rewards, Dark Shadow. If only 2 were returned, and they were $10 trout, the more accurate estimate of the catch rate would likely be 20% rather than 2%. However, as indicated, some people did return non reward tags during the study, including myself and another person who commented on this thread. In any case, ideally every tagged trout should have a cash reward, but that would be much more expensive. So, the argument that you are making is that only the cash reward trout should be counted, essentially, which may be a good point, but there probably needed to be more of them to get an accurate estimate of the catch rate.

The other point that I made, is that I think the trout fishing was better when the water was near full pool than when it was lowered for the dam repairs. I am pretty sure most people who fish Perris Lake agree about that. The lake is larger and deeper when it is full, and thus has better trout habitat and apparently better growth and survival rates for trout after they are stocked. Since the lake is back to being near full pool, the trout should do better now if stocked. The study was done when the water was way down for the dam repairs, so not equivalent to the situation now. Hopefully the lake will be stocked again when enough trout are available.

Yes I do agree with the scenarios provided and we do wish that the trout hatcheries can recover in time. It would be interesting to see the data when we have a full pool scenario and anglers actively participating in the study. I can say that the 3 trout I caugth and that where tagged I did receive $10 for each and all the information I filled in.

over the 3 years...

2195 reward tags went out, 178 were returned...8%
    5960 non reward tags went out, 282 returned...4%
    that's a 5.6% average.

based upon catch rate and hours fished (weekend/weekday), angler surveys estimated...

3424 trout were caught
    95523 were stocked
    that's 3.5% of total stocked, tagged or not

At best case scenario, looking at reward tags only it is still less than 10% which is poor.

I think the other thing to take into consideration was that Corona Lake and Irvine Lake were open at that time which I'm sure drew many angler's away from Perris. Especially for Trout. What can we angler's do to start getting Perris stocked again with Trout?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MindBendo View Post
    I think the other thing to take into consideration was that Corona Lake and Irvine Lake were open at that time which I'm sure drew many angler's away from Perris. Especially for Trout. What can we angler's do to start getting Perris stocked again with Trout?
    Not much right now In my original and reiterated response, the supply of trout is very limited and they need to go where they are needed. Perris isn't one of those places. It's not like a 20 lb bag of bass can be had at Yucaipa lake consistently, if at all. There are not 1-2 lb bluegill swimming all over Rancho Jurupa lake. There are not 15-20 lb catfish swimming around Prado. There are not many (any?) 10 lb bass swimming around Mojave Narrows. There are not quagga mussels affecting the recruitment of juvenile warmwater sportfish in Perris. Perris is not limited in the amount of productive fishery habitat etc. etc.

Bottom line is...if/when the hatchery issues are resolved, if/when all of the lakes that need trout and trout are overwhelmingly sought get what in necessary, and if/when there are fish in excess of that, then it is a possibility that Perris could once again get stocked trout. Until then, it is what it is.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast