Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Scrappy Jack Grabs My CHL Herring Grub!

Default Scrappy Jack Grabs My CHL Herring Grub!

Using CHL "Completely Hooked Lures" Herring Grubs For Jacks!

This morning i grabbed my Okuma T40X 10'9" Salmon Steelhead spin whipping rod & threw it in my beach wagon & took off to locate fresh fish for dinner.

The whipping spin-casting rod is-
    10'9" Okuma T-40X Salmon Steelhead spin caster.

Lures used for the spin casting rig-
    CHL "Completely Hooked Lures" Herring grubs.

This day had some crazy fish action. Schools of "nehu" baitfish were hugging the shallows to escape the predators (Trevally, Ladyfish & Barracudas) that were over the drop. Terns & gulls were swooping them up from the air. I got there mid morning and noticed in a short time the action was slowing down. I immediately used my whipping rig w/a CHL Herring to cast into everything. I saw a roughly 15-20lb Trevally GT break water & grabbed the grub. This scared everything into silence.

That 1st run caused the braid mainline to hit the shoreline shrubs & the line snapped, dropping me flat on my back. I think i went through ALL the swear words in the English, Filipino & Japanese language! I got up, re-rigged laughing & my next cast a A'wa "Ladyfish" took the lure but immediately spit it out. Fantastic jumper! By now everything died down so i had time to get my video camera & rig my dunking rig with shrimp. After all this action the fish became skittish. Bluefin Trevally ventured into the shallows to herd the baitfish to pockets. Nothing was hitting after that.

Lunchtime. I noticed 2 massive piles of baitfish were being "pushed" together by a large silvery Trevally. I'm whipping a Herring grub between the schools & bingo! My 1st Easter egg of the day that held! I used 2/0 circle hooks for a solid hook-up in the mouth. Nice fish. So i let it go to get bigger for our next battle (Jack at 5:29 time frame).

https://youtu.be/kx3q2Nu_aFs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scrappy Jack.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	53045