How to Ice Fish for Trout with Balanced Leech Flies to increase your chance of catching neutral to negative mood fish during late winter. These dubbing and marabou leech patterns are also known as ice flies and after using them for a few seasons I am now wondering why I do not use them more often. They really perform well and are especially notable for catching fish on the slow days when nothing else seems to trigger a bite.

The underwater footage shows how the fish come in and very aggresively take the fly. It is quite impressive considering the fish were in a neurtral mood. Since seeing the underwater footage and experience the other day I am certain that this presentation is effective.

If you have not tried ice flies then I recommend you give it a go. The other patterns like Suds, Bead head nymphs, blood worms and chironomids are all effective and can catch fish through the ice. These lures are especially handy on bait ban lakes. They can be presented as a dead stick presenation or moved slightly. You can also do a slow rise and fall through the water column which will trigger bites.

https://youtu.be/h0I19mnFops