Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New targets in New Year

Default New targets in New Year

Finally got the 2021 license and felt like putting it to work immediately. Found a nice window between the swells and the winds with warm sunshine and wetsuit-tolerable water temps and paddled out on my longboard to a kelp patch with a different game plan than in previous sessions. I normally just through plastics for bass and halis and whatever else gets interested but this time I diligently cut some squid and set the dropper loop.

It took a while but I found a spot that had biters and after releasing a couple I decided to keep a whitefish. For all the parts of surfboard fishing I figured this needs most work. Lets just say there are a lot of moving parts in it: 1) ocean and kelp around me, 2) fish that is not always patiently waiting to be put on a stringer and 3) well, the stringer attached to leash loop that I can not reach unless I get in the water + the rod I like to keep on the board (as opposed to sinking to bottom) while I’m putting fish on the stringer. So, almost always I make immediate decision to release fish when on-board. But the one I kept was worth it and delicious and I’ll work on more efishnet setup.

Caught undersized calico and a sandy too and watched a whale blow a fountain on the opposite side of kelp patch, it looked like moving north, is it expecting spring already? IN March-April that area turns into whale highway, and big bass wake up too, just gotta watch that weather.
    Have fun out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3737.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	53050  

Nice job on the board, I could never be organized enough to fish on a board. White fish are great eating. I also see your from Ventura, I am taking a trip with my son up the coast to fish piers and jetties. I know Ventura has a pier but I would also like to fish a jetty there, can you give me the names if there are any jetties in Ventura?

Sodapop: I have not fished the area jetties for a long while but south/east of the pier there are rock jetties every few hundred feet. South jetty area in Ventura harbor is where I took my daughter for perch hookups in the past, there used to be the trough along beach that folks fish all the way to (and past) Santa Clara River. The surf can get a bit rough there, but you can retreat into the harbor and fish the docks near Marina park for croakers and such. Hueneme pier gets action at times i hear but I stick to shore and board and search around as ocean changes things all the time to keep you humble.

Thanks for info, really appreciated