Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Ice Fishing Rainbow Trout

Default Ice Fishing Rainbow Trout

Ice Fishing for Rainbow Trout and Brook Char has become one of my favorite types of fishing since moving to British Columbia. We have an abundance of Interior stillwaters stocked with trout that grow to huge sizes. These lakes are located at high elevation on the plateaus and mountain valleys, so they freeze in the winter and often have safe ice to fish as early as the begining of November. Safe ice can last all the way up until April usually.
    This year has been warm so the ice on many lakes is highly variable and it takes some time and precautions to make sure you stay on the top side. If you are willing to get out on the ice in the first couple months of ice cover you can experience some of the greatest fishing of the year.
    In this episode I'll take you out fishing with me on a new lake and exploring new waters. I'll show you how I locate fish and what kind of structure I look for. I'll also take you through the weather changes of the day and how your presentation matters for the mood of the fish.
    In this video you will see a great search pattern set up for finicky fish using a flashing hookless spoon to attract fish from the surrounding area and then a dropper tungsten jig below to seal the deal. I will go through the types of bait I use and why I prefer some over others. I'll also show you how to fish this set up using a Marcum, or other flasher sonar. You can also do the same looking down a hole and watching the fish.
    During this video I was using the Circle Tackle DEX-027 Rod with a Shinamo Sahara 750FB reel spooled with 8 pound micro ice line. The flasher was a Williams Lures Ice Jig Spoon. The Tungsten jig was an Atomic Waxworm also made by Circle Tackle.
    If you would like a DEX ROD or TUNGSTEN JIGS for yourself please check out: Circle Tackle
    If you would like to get out on the lake ICE FISHING, but don't have anything you may want to look up Campbell Bryk from "Elevated Fishing Adventures". He operates out of Sun Peaks Resort in the Interior of British Columbia and focuses on fully Guided Ice Fishing Tours on the lakes surrounding Sun Peaks and Kamloops.
    Elevated Fishing Adventures

Why do bites increase/decrease when the sun is high and bright and then suddenly becomes shaded when a cloud rolls in?

Quote Originally Posted by MaddFish View Post
    Why do bites increase/decrease when the sun is high and bright and then suddenly becomes shaded when a cloud rolls in?
    I find that a variation in light creates a feeding advantage for the larger fish over the smaller prey. Also if they are feeding in shallow water they will avoid it when the sun is bright... when it clouds over they rush in the feed heavily for a perior of time. Thost are a couple reasons I've seen.