Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Surf Fishing Newb

Default Surf Fishing Newb

For the first time in a decade, I have picked up my ocean enhancement stamp for 2021, so I'm preparing for rusting hooks, 4 ounce pyramid sinkers, sand in my crotch, and avoiding stepping on a sting ray in the surf.

So, my sole experience fishing the surf was going out and chucking a Kastmaster and hooking something big, then that fish wrapping up around my friend's legs as he was d!cking around in the surf and breaking me off, then spending 2 days getting the sand out of...well everything.

So, my experience is somewhat limited.

What My Plan Is:

I don't plan on getting any other gear specifically for this. So that the salt and sand effs it up? No thanks. The Conquests and Aldebarans will stay at home, and I'll be using some oldies but goodies, like my ole Chronarch 100s. I figure I throw 10# FC and I should be ok?

I also will use an old Stradic and put 6# for my 'lighter' outfit.

I have about two dozens of these things collecting dust so I'm sure they might catch me something in the surf?

I also have about 3 metric tons worth of small Big Hammer swimbaits in all sorts of colors and sizes. Im sure they'll get looked at?

Also plan on throwing small grubs (motor oil, etc) and apparently, I may pick up some Gulp Sandworms, as they are well recommended. Can I fish these on a drop shot rig? Or a Carolina rig? Straight up on a jig head?

What about locations? What the heck do I look for? Since I will drive 4 hours for a day trip to fly fish, I can head north or south to get away from the crowds, because there is no way in hell that I'll be fishing Santa Monica in the summer. I'd be more liable catching some kid swimming than an actual fish. But am I looking at more rockier areas? Sandy areas?

Any other tips that may come in handy?
    Last edited by DarkShadow; 01-12-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    For the first time in a decade, I have picked up my ocean enhancement stamp for 2021, so I'm preparing for rusting hooks, 4 ounce pyramid sinkers, sand in my crotch, and avoiding stepping on a sting ray in the surf.

So, for someone who's sole experience fishing the surf was going out and chucking a Kastmaster and hooking something big, then that fish wrapping up around my friend's legs as he was d!cking around in the surf and breaking me off, then spending 2 days getting the sand out of...well everything.

So, my experience is somewhat limited.

What My Plan Is:

I don't plan on getting any other gear specifically for this. So that the salt and sand effs it up? No thanks. The Conquests and Aldebarans will stay at home, and I'll be using some oldies but goodies, like my ole Chronarch 100s. I figure I throw 10# FC and I should be ok?

I also will use an old Stradic and put 6# for my 'lighter' outfit.

I have about two dozens of these things collecting dust so I'm sure they might catch me something in the surf?

I also have about 3 metric tons worth of small Big Hammer swimbaits in all sorts of colors and sizes. Im sure they'll get looked at?

Also plan on throwing small grubs (motor oil, etc) and apparently, I may pick up some Gulp Sandworms, as they are well recommended. Can I fish these on a drop shot rig? Or a Carolina rig? Straight up on a jig head?

What about locations? What the heck do I look for? Since I will drive 4 hours for a day trip to fly fish, I can head north or south to get away from the crowds, because there is no way in hell that I'll be fishing Santa Monica in the summer. I'd be more liable catching some kid swimming than an actual fish. But am I looking at more rockier areas? Sandy areas?

Any other tips that may come in handy?
    Check your tides.

That's quite a coincidence. I just bought my 2021 fishing license, and also got an Ocean Enhancement Stamp for the first time in about 10 years.

Aside from public piers, All I have caught is a few surfperch and croaker, and found some clams. But with the pandemic, I don't think I can count on local lakes to stay open.

Fly fish in the surf! You will thank me later. Also to avoid the sand in crotch thing, wear some waders.

Gulp baits work great in the surf too.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    Check your tides.
    Check 'em for what? They didn't do anything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Aside from public piers, All I have caught is a few surfperch and croaker, and found some clams. But with the pandemic, I don't think I can count on local lakes to stay open.
    Oh, I did the pier thing in my teens during summer vacation. Those were the days! Used to take the RTD from DTLA to Redondo and get my @$$ handed to me by bonito all day. And yeah, I found some a few clams too! They seem to want to hang out under the board walk and drink wine coolers, go figure.

And I'm pretty sure local lakes are staying open. If you can walk into a McDonalds and get a #1 during a pandemic, I'm sure the lakes will remain open.

Quote Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
    Fly fish in the surf!
    Yeah, see, that goes back to me wanting to use gear I already have. I need more fishing gear like I need another hole in my head.

And, I'd rather tumble down the Owens Gorge with my Hatches in tow, than expose them to salty sandwater. Same for my waders.

And if I want to fly fish the surf 'right,' then I have to go out and get specific flies, sinking lines, those little mobile drink trays:

And then it'll become another addiction that I'd have to talk to my therapist about, so yeah.....we're going out there with a baitcaster, a spinning rod, a Plano that fits in my short's pockets, and my chanclas.

Which leads me to my next question.

Would these chanclas be good to wade the surf? I think they'll drain water and sand out well, and the old Goodyears soles on them will provide good traction.

(My sister stepped on a sting ray once in Florida (true story) and she ruined the entire day, and we still laugh at her for it to this day. Don't wanna be in her shoes....or chanclas)

If you're willing to drive to San Diego County you can join me Thursday "afternoon" for a bass session.

Robert

You as well lefty...I live in Menifee now

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    If you're willing to drive to San Diego County you can join me Thursday "afternoon" for a bass session.

Robert

You as well lefty...I live in Menifee now
    How did it go out there?

You can catch bass from the surf?!

All these things i'm learning.

Waves were to big so didn't go and yes you can catch bass from the surf.