Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: I needed to be David Copperfield at Irvine lake today!

Default I needed to be David Copperfield at Irvine lake today!

After evaluating the situation today, I concluded you could catch a limit of trout everyday the lake is open now through February! (at a cost of penny's) But you've got to use as many tricks as David Copperfield the Magician! Here's how I came to that conclusion. The lake is really small right now (where are they going to go?) and their stocking every week with smaller fish. (lot's of fish) However, you do have to out smart them! They are just swimming up and down the shoreline all day. So if you're not getting bit after awhile, you've got to change it up! You only need 3 baits, Powerbait, Night crawlers and Power mice. (you do need an assortment of colors) Besides the Garlic scent! If you got all 3 with you and can cast close, medium and far. So can catch a limit of trout every time you go there!

I'll go over the basic strategy one more time. (it also depends on which day you go on) The strategy for Friday is much different then Sunday. (the dumber fish get caught on Friday) Saturday is half way in between Friday and Sunday's techniques. If fishing on Friday you can catch fish on powerbait and nightcrawlers all morning and then switch to mice tails for the afternoon bite. On Sunday the day I went, it was all on Mice tails!

Here is how the week went. (Jan 1-3)

On Friday high winds basically blew the lake out. Some fish were caught on all 3 baits but the weather made it tough! On Saturday I was twiting off getting skunked somewhere else, but my good friend was fishing there and gave me a good report. Night crawlers were working real well by the boat docks and powerbait and mice tails were working pretty well just about everywhere at a medium cast distance. So on Sunday I started fishing that way and couldn't get a bite at all in the morning! Some random fish were caught on P/B and N/C but it was more just luck! (which I don't have much of) The guy's who went straight to the mice tails did ok in the morning. While in the mean time I was getting skunked! Not to fear, I just needed to go into David Copperfield mode!

It was getting close to 11:00 am so I knew the trout would be farther off shore. So I needed to make a bomb cast to get out there far enough to where the fish were. (I've got an good pole, so I could do it!) I started off with a pink/white mice with super stink garlic. (2 different kinds of garlic) Got bit pretty fast and then nothing for a bit. Changed colors to an white/pink and caught 2 pretty fast. Then switched it up to an orange/white for fish number 4 and then thought what haven't they seen? A pink/white mouse tail wacky rigged and that got me number 5!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-07-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks! Where can you get that garlic?
    Last edited by FISHISH; 01-04-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    Thanks! Where can you get that garlic?
    Since you're are one of the most active members, you can have all my secrets! Lol You first dip the power mouse in Bite on Garlic. (found at most good tackle stores) Then you spray Bang Garlic on top of that. One of the easiest places to find Bang is at Walmart. I just bought another can an hour ago at Walmart. (cost $6.94)

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Since you're are one of the most active members, you can have all my secrets! Lol You first dip the power mouse in Bite on Garlic. (found at most good tackle stores) Then you spray Bang Garlic on top of that. One of the easiest places to find Bang is at Walmart. I just bought another can an hour ago at Walmart. (cost $6.94)
    That's a lotta garlic! can find the bang but not the bite on garlic...

That's a lotta garlic! can find the bang but not the bite on garlic...
    I'll give you 2 places I know that have it and probably a 3rd or 4th that might have it. Save yourself the drive and be sure to use your phone instead. Bob's fishing tackle in Norwalk, Fishermen's access in Brea, probably the Longfin in Orange and Youngs tackle in Cerritos!

Etuck,

In lieu of driving to the tackle shop to get the Bite On, can I use this instead?

Asking for a friend, that has a Costco membership.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Etuck,

In lieu of driving to the tackle shop to get the Bite On, can I use this instead?

Asking for a friend, that has a Costco membership.
    LOL I have that exact jar of minced garlic sitting in the fridge half used.

LOL I have that exact jar of minced garlic sitting in the fridge half used.

I put that $h!t on everything. That's why I was wondering if you could rub that stuff on some PowerBait or on a worm or something.

I know people use garlic powder but not sure about minced garlic.