Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poachers! It's that time again.

Default Poachers! It's that time again.

Pretty much every year you can expect to see the gang out there. 4 or 5 boats (3 to 5 people per boat) all strung together catching stripers rapid fire, one after another. You can also see their chum baskets and marker buoys. These aren't fishermen. These are meat collectors who don't give a rat's *** about Fish and Game laws and regulations. Winter comes and the liver bite begins signaling the start of poacher season. We regulars see it every year.

Pat, I called DFG yesterday after witnessing and taking pics of the chumming and slaying. I can't prove it, but I'm betting the 10 fish limit doesn't apply to this group.
    I could only get the dispatcher from Northern California, but I was assured I would get a call from the local Game Warden.
    We all need to do our part at stopping them. Please call DFG if you see them, 1-888-334-2258.

I just called F&G to pass this along. What a bad experience that was. Anyway, I am suppose to get a call from the local warden. Is there anything beyond this post I should say, assuming I get a call. Like are they there on certain days, types of boat, whatever.

One of the boats is a Z7 Nitro and the other is a green Jon Boat. The Nitro is using a chum bag tied to a red locator buoy and the Jon Boat is putting chum in a fish basket and dropping it over the side of the boat.
    There were a couple of boats fishing with them that weren't chumming, but they're as guilty as the guys doing the chumming. I took pics, but the CF numbers are blurry.

So, no call from F&G. What can I say.
    PAW, did you catch anything?

If I don't get a call today from F&G, I'll call them again tomorrow.

Yes. Schools are moving around. You never know where or when they'll show up.

NFCD - Was it the red/white z7 with bimini top?

Last year I watched a rental pull up to ramp 2 unloaded 3 coolers to their vehicle then drive to ramp one to pickup the guy returning the boat. Seems like a lot of extra work unless you're trying to hide something.

I'm still trying to figure out how to infiltrate that underground group.

Take photos of the vehicle and trailer plates in the parking lot as well.

Yup, red and white. I also saw a "delivery" being made to the marina, and then the boat returned to join the flotilla.

I was out at Skinner again today. I watched 4 Asians in a white Boston Whaler chumming for stripers. I have photos, but the CF number is too blurry to read. The state biologist was checking fish counts in the parking lot. They claimed they caught 40 fish. I'm calling BS.
    For what it's worth, my next call is to the Game Warden.
    It's going to take more than me calling in to stop the poaching. They're destroying our fishery.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast