Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poachers! It's that time again.

If you see poaching or chumming on Lake Skinner or any other So. CA. lake, call Lt. Kyle Chang with the DF&G. 951-897-6193.
    I spoke to him today and he's on our side to put an end to chumming for Stripers or any other fresh water fish.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I spoke to him today and he's on our side to put an end to chumming for Stripers...
    It's funny because other DFG employees (on the biology side) I've spoken to before would take gill nets to those small stripers and man them themselves to get these striper fisheries back to what they were years ago if given half the chance.

It's their opinion that the culling of these small stripers is beneficial for not only the current striped bass population, but all species and the health of fisheries in general.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Y'all should be killing a limit of those small stripers each time you head out to the lake if you want to help maintain the fishery. There are 10's of thousands of them everywhere in the lake that are predating upon the forage at the expense of their own species and the all of the others. Do you want DVL to turn into Silverwood or Castaic?...keep throwing them back.
    So which is it!?

Are those poachers hurting the fishery?

Or by putting a dent to the juvenile striper population, are they actually helping the fishery?

Good to know. We will, thanks!

There's a right and an illegal way to go about it. POACHING is ILLEGAL.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    There's a right and an illegal way to go about it. POACHING is ILLEGAL.
    I mean, years ago, it was illegal for women and people of color to vote....Remember when it was illegal to purchase alcohol?

It sounds like it's time for the DFW to enact laws that mirror what their biologists preach. I'm still waiting for the limit to be raised on stripers under a certain length.

be humane
    add predator's to the habitat
    something that will spawn

maybe pike or gars

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    be humane
    add predator's to the habitat
    something that will spawn

maybe pike or gars
    And have another Lake Davis incident?

No thanks.

These fisheries were strong before the invasion of the stripers. DFW has openly admitted that. But, we can't put the $hi✞ back into the horse, so might as well have it be open season on stripers in these landlocked waters. They have bounties for carp in a lot of lakes, why can't we do the same for this invasive species?

before alcohol was illegal

a bunch of drunks [everybody drank anything but water back then]

planted trout ,bass ,and most of the targeted sport fish species in the state
    bluegills cats you name it

and i would think most anglers would rather catch a 10lb stripper than a 10lb cardboard hatchery trout

along with foliage fish such as shiners and shad where added as a steady diet for these other invasive non native species

under f&g management both saltwater and freshwater fishery's have been destroyed with missmanagement and stupidity in dealing with biomass

I agree with Dark Shadow and KWIN. It should be open season on Striped Bass because they are invasive super-predators which tend to degrade other fisheries. What I don't understand, is why this state still has strict limits on them elsewhere, like the bay area, where they interfere with Salmon.

Perhaps some of these DFG personnel are not eager to prosecute these poachers because they know that Striped Bass populations need to be limited, and we don't need fish like Pike or Gar. Fisheries biologists are learning more about how fisheries work over time. I think most of the damage to fisheries was done early on, mostly by non-biologists who transported non-native fish. For instance, Lake Tahoe used to have a great Lahontan Cutthroat fishery long ago, but people stocked the lake with Rainbow, Brown and Lake Trout, and Kokanee, which wiped out the Cutthroat population. There are even Bluegill and Bass in the lake now. (I have caught them.) California DFW is only recently showing an interest in re-establishing a Cutthroat fishery in the Tahoe area. Perhaps the limits on Striped Bass will be further loosened in the future. There will still be a lot of them around regardless.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 01-15-2021 at 04:26 PM.

if it wasn't for non native introduction

you wouldn't have much to catch
    cutthroat's were fished out to number's to low to maintain a stable biomass
    not eaten out of house and home but decimated by development and pollution

and long before there was a fish and game there was a abundance of natives fish

mostly they and their habitat are gone or protected now

the fish and game was great at dam management and little else

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast