Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Slamal -"Bob's White Fly"

Default Bob Slamal -"Bob's White Fly"

Hello all-

I know there are a few members on here who knew Mr. Slamal, fished with him, and fished his original White Fly.

Does anyone here have some images/pics and specs (hook size, materials, etc) on the original fly that Bob invented/tied? If so, can you send them to me or post them.

I'm was hoping to tie w few for personal use and wanted to replicate as close as possible to the original fly that was used VERY successfully by Mr. Slamal at Skinner and DVL!!

Thanks for the assistance!

Heard about the fly. Hope you get the details on how it was tied.

Now, a side question, these flies aren't thrown on actual fly gear, right? I just can't imagine how you can get fly line down to 50 feet.

I believe Bob used sinking fly line and trolled them. I believe sinking line this would get it down to 20'-30'. Since Skinner is much shallower than DVL, easier to catch them with fly rod/line since they are not as deep as DVL; same with Silverwood.

At DVL, most use lead core line to get it down, as they can be deeper (30'-45').

I would also like to now if anyone has had success with stripers on fly rod/reel and sinking fly line at DVL.....I believe Bob did, but not sure of exactly the line/tackle he used other than it was a fly set up.

There are members here (maybe no longer visit here much) who did fish with as he was a guide at Skinner, DVL, and Silverwood....hoping they chime in with some details.

Just want the fly rod/reel challenge!!!

But, I also troll with lead core.....sshhh, don't let the FF purists know!
    Last edited by EL JEFE; 12-05-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EL JEFE View Post
    I believe Bob used sinking fly line and trolled them. I believe sinking line this would get it down to 20'-30'.
    If you're trolling the fly, why not go with conventional methods like lead core or downriggers?

I was thinking one would cast this fly and strip and retrieve it deeper in the water column.

Googling seems to suggest the fly was a definitely a 'marabou' pattern, tied to his specs. There has to be a sample out there that you can use to reverse engineer the tie.

I'm very curious now on this pattern, since I usually bring a fly rod on board to piss off the establishment when I'm fishing for largemouth, and would love a nice shad pattern that would work from the late summer into the Fall.

Although I guess I could always tie a small fluke on the ole 7 weight....

I do indeed troll with lead core and my own version of a white fly (learned from Mike Southerland).

During my research, I read that Bob worked with Sage rods and developed a Fly rod exclusively for LMB. He also was in bass tourneys that allowed for the longer rods; and placed like 2/3. Talk about pissing off the bass elite!
    He apparently was a FF at heart; that's why he developed ways to catch the striper on fly gear at our local lakes. Pretty cool!

I think I have a dozen of the fly's in my hand at this moment. I purchased them in Riverside CA at a sporting goods store about 15 years ago to use at Silverwood Lake. The name on the box says BOBS WHITE MARABOU FLY. I have the write up of using the fly's some where around here I will have to look for it. The write up was trolling the fly for stripers at Silverwood.
    Bill / jig-guy

Hello Jig-Guy--

Thanks for the response. Any chance you'd be willing to share a few pics of the flies? The write up would also be cool if you could share that too.
    I also sent you a PM.

Thanks

Carlos look at your PM's.
    jig-guy / Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by EL JEFE View Post
    Hello Jig-Guy--

Thanks for the response. Any chance you'd be willing to share a few pics of the flies? The write up would also be cool if you could share that too.
    I also sent you a PM.

Thanks

Can you share it with the rest of us?

I could not find the information to share. I looked around here for over 4 hours and could not find it. The information was posted about 15 years ago. I will follow up with what I remember in the next couple of days.
    jig-guy / Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast