Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: How long after I'm not bit should I move spots or change baits.

Default How long after I'm not bit should I move spots or change baits.

How long after I'm not bit should I move spots or change baits. And should I change bait or move spots? What does it "depend" on?

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    How long after I'm not bit should I move spots or change baits. And should I change bait or move spots? What does it "depend" on?
    If you're not bit in an hour move unless you see other people around you catching! If you see them catching, try to copy what their doing!

An hour should be enough. And @etucker was right. If people around you are catching fish, you probably should a little more patient.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post

See, I'm glad you wrote the 'depends,' part.

2 good pieces of sound advice were given above. If you either see fish or see people catching fish around you, then obviously they are there. That's always a good variable when fishing; actually having the fish around.

If people are catching fish around you, I'd stay and spy on them to find out what they're catching them on. Pay attention to their leader length and how far out they're casting. I've seen two individuals sitting next to each other using the same bait, but one casting into the depths and not catching anything, while the other person is getting bit by casting 10 feet out in front of them.

I think these are the scenarios where having a 2nd Rod Stamp comes into play, since you'll be able to toss another presentation out with the 2nd rod while you wait for a bite on the PowerBait rig.

If you don't see anybody catching fish around you, it's probably wise to move spots every so often until you find them.

Again, so many variables to take into consideration, and the more you fish, the more you become attuned to these small details.

For example, when bass fishing in the early Fall, I know that the fish are keying in on bait fish and are chasing them all over the lake. I have a more 'run and gun' type of approach where I'm constantly on the trolling motor on high, and I'm using more reaction baits that allows me to cover more water. In the Spring, I know that these same fish are hunkered down, so I fish more slowly and tend to switch up baits more often. Same fish, two different seasons, two different approaches.

When I fly fish in a river/stream/creek, I will give a good run a handful of drifts before I move on. Either the fish aren't eating, or they aren't there. So I will hike/wade to the next good run and do the same thing. Now, if I see fish actively feeding and I'm not getting any looks or am getting rejections on my flies, then it's time to start fine tuning my presentation to find what they are eating.

"It depends." That's what makes fishing so fun because it makes you think. A lot of colleagues think that fishing is throwing out your bait, cracking open a cold one, and kicking ur feet up while you sit on your bucket waiting for a bite. I prefer to think of fishing as a more hands on type of hobby where you are constantly learning, researching, and trying to figure out the puzzle.