Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lakes for Fishing around Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Saw that they stocked the local cement pond on Friday and I headed out there on Saturday afternoon around 2 pm. There were about a dozen guys around, and not many people were having luck.

I left the house with 3 flies. A Black Wooly Bugger, a White Wooly Bugger and a Green Wooly Bugger. On my third cast, I get a big strike that breaks off my White Wooly Bugger, prolly due to a halfass knot. I then rigged up the Black Wooly Bugger and released a limit of trout in 45 minutes.

The key was to move around and not stay in one spot. The pond hardly has any structure, so these stocker trout will swim around the pond, rather than staying on one spot.

If I were to use non fly gear, I'd get a 6'6 or 7 foot rod with 2# test, and rig up any mini jig with a 1/64 ounce jig head, perhaps 1/32 if you need further casting distance or are fishing deeper water. (This lake hardly gets to 5 feet deep I think).

I've also taken a page out of the bass fishing book, and have drop shotted or wacky rigged Power Worms and have had good luck. Just size down, obviously. BassPro sells 1/84 and 1/100 ounce jig heads in the fly fishing section, and I use those to wacky rig the Power Worms. For the drop shotting rig, I use a size 12 Owner mosquito hook, and use a small split shot as the weight.

Vary your retrieve. Sometimes they want a faster retrieve, sometimes they want a slower retrieve.

Another thing I was noticing is that the individuals that WERE catching fish on the PowerBait had a small leader and light line. It was fascinating watching these guys catching a fish, and their neighbors who were using 3 foot leaders and 40# test wouldn't notice this and make the change. Observing people who are having success and asking yourself why they are versus people to the right and left of them is also worth doing.
    If you don't mind telling me, just outta curiosity, what cement lake?

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    If you don't mind telling me, just outta curiosity, what cement lake?
    I'll give you a few clues.

1. If you've ever committed a crime in East LA and had to go to court, the 'lake' is right near that courthouse.

2. If you've ever been spent the night in jail in East LA for a crime you committed, the 'lake' is right near that jail.

3. If you've ever had to visit your probation officer, because of a crime you've committed in East LA, the 'lake' is right near that probation office.

4. It was also stocked last week.

1. If you've ever committed a crime in East LA and had to go to court, the 'lake' is right near that courthouse.

2. If you've ever been spent the night in jail in East LA for a crime you committed, the 'lake' is right near that jail.

3. If you've ever had to visit your probation officer, because of a crime you've committed in East LA, the 'lake' is right near that probation office.

Hansen dam?
    belvedere park lake?
    Alondra Park Lake?

Am i close?

never did any of these things though

(edit:) Haha found it thanks! could have made it a little more fun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-18 232452.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	52994

(edit again:) Stocking again too! I'm gonna assume all the tips u gave me still apply? What other flies can I bring (says the man with a zebco but owns a fly rod)? And because I'm asking Dark Shadow what does it depend on?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-18 232712.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	52995
    Last edited by FISHISH; 12-19-2020 at 09:42 AM.

I'm an dumb old white boy from OC and I like that lake!

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    (edit:) Haha found it thanks! could have made it a little more fun

(edit again:) Stocking again too! I'm gonna assume all the tips u gave me still apply? What other flies can I bring (says the man with a zebco but owns a fly rod)? And because I'm asking Dark Shadow what does it depend on?
    1. Don't overthink it with the flies. Your standard beaded Wooly Bugger should get fish to go.

2. Throw a spoon on the Zebco. Walk around the lake, cover area quickly, as the fish will be also covering area quickly when they're first stocked. Again, the smallest Kastmaster or Daredevl you can get should get you bit. While you're covering the entire shoreline, pay attention to what others are using especially if they are getting fish.

3. If you don't get bit on the spoon, you may want to slow it down. Toss a 1/32 ounce mini jig out there, and vary your depth and retrieve until you find the right combination. Don't overthink colors either. Get yourself a few pearl/shad colored jigs, a few chartreuse colored jigs, and perhaps a natural color (green?) and you're set. If you find that the fish are not committing to the jig, try adding a bobber to it to further slow your presentation down. That way, your jig remains in the fish's strike zone longer and the bobber serves not only to suspend your jig, but also as a strike indicator as well.

4. If ALL that doesn't work, you'll have to consult with eTucker and perhaps he'll give you advice on how to properly use Berkley's line of PowerBait products. (The last time I used Powerbait, i left a bottle of it ajar in my cargo shorts and it went into the dryer and the metal lid fell off (yes, I'm that old, I used to use Powerbait when it came with the metal lid), and our clothes smelled like $h!t for 2 months, and my mom was pissed.)

I might head out there after they stock to throw some small swimbaits. The last time I was out there, I saw a few trout getting chased by something, and it wasn't the ducks.

4. If ALL that doesn't work, you'll have to consult with eTucker and perhaps he'll give you advice on how to properly use Berkley's line of PowerBait products. (The last time I used Powerbait, i left a bottle of it ajar in my cargo shorts and it went into the dryer and the metal lid fell off (yes, I'm that old, I used to use Powerbait when it came with the metal lid), and our clothes smelled like $h!t for 2 months, and my mom was pissed.)

I might head out there after they stock to throw some small swimbaits. The last time I was out there, I saw a few trout getting chased by something, and it wasn't the ducks.
    power bait had metal lids? WTF

How about lakes that are a deeper like Silverwood? Or lakes that are a little bit deeper and larger like santa fe dam? has anyone gone there before?
    Last edited by FISHISH; 12-20-2020 at 02:18 PM.

I don’t think Santa Fe is deep at all ?

CM

about 26 ft. idk if that is considered deep.

Yep right on, I'm a rookie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast