Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epic Oregon RV Fishing adventure

Quote Originally Posted by caseyjholmes View Post
    Yessir, Phil Kane Im remembrance. Miss that guy.

Meh. The synths keep me busy. It’s like puzzles when I build them. Calming.
    I can make money from them as well, and these ones are like musical Legos. Can sit and solder one the forest and sell synths online when I come out.

I think the water was a bit higher actually. I was fishing here back in March when I caught that behemoth steelhead. Was thinking about that fish all summer long, waiting for the December season to open. The water was pretty low back then. It’s up at least a foot or more right now. I was wondering how all those big fish get in there, last year. Now I know. The water rises up quite a bit.

When it snows in that range, it melts off rather fast within the week. The temps right there hover around 30-40* often parts of the year so it freezes over and melts off many times each year.

You need to use split shots on your fly line to get these fish. Or sinking line. I haven’t figured it out yet. But I don’t know if you’ve ever tried casting split shots in the bushes on an eight weight. Lol..

Also the water is crystal clear right now. The fly rod is using those large egg imitations. The bright orange of the eggs seems to actually scare the fish away in clear water. I found something that works a little better..
    Use those steelhead twitching jigs made from Maribu in black and blue colors. They’ll hit that.
    I don’t know why yet. I think it’s because there is blue crawdads in that water, IIRC.

I was just in Florence right before the video after picking up another lithium battery for the trailer at AM Solar in Eugene. Took the road to the coast and then worked my way up.

I’ll try and attach a pic from Florence coast.

Yea man, get the book from Walmart and study the rules in advance.
    Then take your creek fording skills, dawn the waders, and sleep outside for a week to get used to the temps.
    You’ll have to fish with freezing hands in Oregon. You’ll notice the temps in those videos were 34* and 36*. I made it a point to include those time and date and temp stamped shots.

I heard the steelies like a little bit warmer water than the salmon.

It’s really hard to tell the difference between them.
    Look close. The salmon have the black outside and inside jaw but a white tooth line.
    The steelhead don’t have the black jaw but still look really similar, right now.

I believe the black jaw ones are salmon and the ones without black jaws are steelhead. But I could be wrong.
    All those may have been salmon.

I’m sure the big fat pink one is a salmon. It doesn’t look like a giant pissed off trout with shoulders like that huge steelhead I caught earlier in the year with a nice bright pink stripe on the side.

Hell, I don’t even know what I’m catching back there. But they are epic when you hook one. It’s like you did something wrong and now you’re in trouble and have to figure out how to land it and unhook it.

I’ve had those suckers take me 300 yards down stream and wrap me up on branches and had to go IN the deep cold river water in my waders and dig the fish off a branch. All on 8lb line.
    It’s pretty ridiculous. You come out cut up and bruised like you got tackled at the football game.
    A real treat to get to fight one of those but you better hold on to your damn rod. They make my crankbait stick feel like a wet noodle.

Don’t let the fools up there tell you that you need an 11’ rod back in those sticks like that. It’s not going to do you any good. You do need some backbone and a forgiving tip, so you don’t pull hooks, though.

Good luck up there. Many tributaries holding fishes. Some, more than others. ;)

I think from my previous posts, you may have an idea where to start. Send me a DM and I can add some tips.

It took me a month and hard work and forest camping to find those but now that I have, they seem to bite when I’m around using the right stuffs. Now that I’ve experienced them a few times, I’ll probably keep trying with the fly rod if I ever make it back.
    I’m out in Quartzsite, Az. Right now. Rent is $180 for seven months, here.
    Hanging out for a bit while I search for land, and my next adventure.

See if I can get a pic of Florence up. Nice area.

Can’t wait to go fishing again but I have to focus on a few things right now.
    I’ll get to play around again more in the future after I find a place to dump my trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C74345F3-409E-4010-AF14-1DB3BBB6B76A.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	52980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59F2E119-F465-4A83-A7B4-89A090E2F36F.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	52979  

PSs

You have not lived until you took your 50’ $100,000 rig and all your belongings down a logging road 30 miles outside cellphone reception. Bahaha. I did some questionable things to make that happen. Almost died. Be safe folks haha.

Quartzsite last night

Name:	A5BBB27C-DF39-4F4D-8C02-235E6150B351.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	52981  

Most I generated so far was 2.4KW in one day with my 600w of panels. Straight up off grid bio dome experiment.
    I can go over two to three weeks at a time without having to get supplies.

Name:	2DA7104A-A940-41E1-92E3-862EB47DF697.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	52982  

........ ... ....

Name:	B007FB52-646C-47B4-B1BC-48839083E7FB.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	52983  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12