Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: New: Abu Garcia Eradicator Ultralight 6' 7" rod. Ultimate sensitivity.

Default New: JDM Ultralight Abu Garcia Eradicator 6' 7" rod. Ultimate sensitivity.

If you are looking for the ultimate sensitivity in a UL rod of this length, this JDM (Japanese domestic market) may be it. It run rings around even high end rods available in the US.

A year plus ago, I picked up a bunch of JDM rods to measure and then pass on. I don't fish them but simply measure their physical characteristics to educate myself for my interest in rod building. That was eye opening and helpful. Anyways, I pass them on at a price better than anyone can get for a new rod. Win-win - I get to measure the rods without having to actually own them for the full price, and the person who actually fish with them gets a better deal.

Anyways, I am back for round 2. The rod I just received is a Abu Garcia Eradicator 6' 7". The reason I got this is because Youtube's 'Trout Magnet Man' fame wrote a couple of times in the past month on his channel that this rod is his all time favorite JDM rod, and the most sensitive one he has ever had. Given how many dozens of high dollar Japanese UL rods Alphahawk has had, including many above this price bracket, that means a lot. There's another channel i_fish who also raved about this rod.

So, I'm done measuring and if anyone wants it, it is available for pick up in Southern California for $300. Yes, this is new never fished and cheaper than any place you can get. Many japanese dealers are charging over $400 shipped to the USA.

The official ratings:
    Length: 6' 7"
    Weight: 55 grams (sub 2 oz)
    Power: SUL
    Line: 0.6-3 lbs or PE 0.1-0.5
    Lure range: 0.1g-10g
    Carbon Fiber: 100% high modulus CF.

New, never fished. The most I ever load a rod 8 oz, well under its limits.

My subject sense of the rod:
    1. I absolutely get the rave on the rod. There's a lightness and delicacy about it that really suggests great sensitivity. I can believe that it is among the most sensitive rod in its ranges and a few steps above.
    2. The lure rating of 10 grams (over 1/3 oz) is optimistic. I would say cast up to 1/16th oz.
    3. Perfect for mini-jigs and metals. The action is moderate fast to fast?
    4. Really pleasurable to hold and do the jigging motion.
    5. Ultralight really encompass a great range. This is on the lighter side of UL being a SUL and would be amazing in the Sierras to enjoy even the smaller Brook trout that is so common.
    6. Abu Garcia did not cut corners. This has the most expensive regular guides out there, the Fuji Titanium Torzites. The surprising thing is that the used 8+1 for a total of 9 guides. Most rods of this length use only 8. This is actually consistent with Fuji's suggestion to get the maximum performance out of a blank like this.

So genuinely, I really do think that this is a fantastic rod.
    Last edited by Ultralight; 12-10-2020 at 04:49 PM.