Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: The Catfish switched bait on us!

Default The Catfish switched bait on us!

For the last 6 weeks at Irvine Lake the Catfish have been snacking all day long on Mackerel. One of the other crews tried some different bait last week and hooked 3 nice Catfish in short order. So never wanting to be left high and dry, I sent my friend Robert to buy some bait other then Mackerel. He bought some weird stuff and gave it a try on Friday. He caught an #7 pound Catfish an #13 pounder and 6 stockers Catfish. While the rest of the lake as far as I could see caught ZERO Catfish! What the heck did he buy?????? I had to take him back to the exact store and see what he bought! When I saw it, it just looked like small Mackerel to me, but it's not! I bought some and he bought some and we took it back to Irvine. We did go in 2 different directions, so are fish counts are not comparing apples to oranges! I only caught 1 fish on the bait and it was a #12 pound Catfish. While Robert caught 5 stockers and a #17 pound Catfish on the bait in a completely different spot! The rest of the lake caught very little again!

I bring this little story up, because if you don't have the right bait. You sometimes are just sucking Lemons when you could be catching fish!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-21-2020 at 06:46 PM.