Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh or frozen? Does it make a difference?

have you ever once tried salt dried bait to compare the two

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    have you ever once tried salt dried bait to compare the two
    For me, no! Beyond my pay grade to do it properly. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    Hello wondering if having fresh bait matters or if frozen works just as good. Talking about anchovies/sardines. Where do you guys get the fresh bait?

P.S. While your at it, 'chovies vs sardines at silverwood lake?
    For a relaxing day in the sun go to a local pier and catch your own. I go to cabrillo beach pier and fish off the end. Get yourself a few sabiki rigs a bag of cheap bolillo rolls to chum them up and fill your bucket. I have caught anchovies, sardines and mackerel using this method. Make sure you take an additional rod so you can throw out a few you might catch a halibut.

I have done that before... But I've never had much luck only catching a few at most. Luckily I have never skunked. Is there a specific season cuz I heard that its not good in the winter. Usually i just drop straight down im not sure if thats what im doing wrong.

I have done that before... But I've never had much luck only catching a few at most. Luckily I have never skunked. Is there a specific season cuz I heard that its not good in the winter. Usually i just drop straight down im not sure if thats what im doing wrong.
    Make sure you check your tides in coming is best, also fish the lower part of the water column little fish like the dark for security. Drop it straight down to hit the bottom then give it a crank then jig up and down. You can also use pro cure oil along with the bread, a couple of drops is enough in the water, it should not take longer than an hour for them to find your chum line.

I have only used cat food and blended mackerel as chum. And mackerel chunks on my sabiki rig for bait.

I have only used cat food and blended mackerel as chum. And mackerel chunks on my sabiki rig for bait.
    Try the bread and skip the chunks on the rig, your targets have small mouths hence the bread. The rigs are designed to imitate small prey, chunks of fish on them defeats the purpose. The way it usually goes is you break up some bread really small and toss it in the water with a few drops of the bait oil or sauce. The anchovies roll up, then the sardines then mackerel that prey on them both. I have had bucket loads and often supplied other fishermen with live bait.

I would like to go with you someday... Maybe learn the ropes!

I would like to go with you someday... Maybe learn the ropes!
    Maybe after the first of the year after all the bullshit dies down.

We have been going every week for fresh bait and last week we hit a wall on catching them! (so it may be over with the cold water moving in????)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast