Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh or frozen? Does it make a difference?

Default Fresh or frozen? Does it make a difference?

Hello wondering if having fresh bait matters or if frozen works just as good. Talking about anchovies/sardines. Where do you guys get the fresh bait?

P.S. While your at it, 'chovies vs sardines at silverwood lake?

Great question, I am interested in the answers too.
    I have always used frozen sardines at Silverwood. My last trip was a skunk, but the few stripers I saw caught went to anchovy.

Fresh is "better" but most of the time doesn't make a big difference. Not worth the effort unless you just happen to be coming off a trip from the ocean. I used to have the deckhand scoop some bait into a ziplock before they dump the leftover bait. Buy a flash frozen bag and go fishing, just don't try to refreeze bait after it is thawed. I prefer anchovies for striper, sardines for catfish or sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    Fresh is "better" but most of the time doesn't make a big difference. Not worth the effort unless you just happen to be coming off a trip from the ocean. I used to have the deckhand scoop some bait into a ziplock before they dump the leftover bait. Buy a flash frozen bag and go fishing, just don't try to refreeze bait after it is thawed. I prefer anchovies for striper, sardines for catfish or sharks.
    All summer we used Fresh Sardines for Catfish at Lake Wohlford! We were GOD'S!!!!!!! I've never seen Magic Bait before on fish! We were getting 75 bites a trip and everyone else was lucky to get 5! The only easy place to get Fresh Sardines is Marina Del Rey bait receiver in the harbor. (You can walk to it!)

any bait receiver will do
    or try asking cattle boats if you have hookups

but try making your own salted bait all you need is bait a barrel, wooden preferred at least 5 gallons
    drill a 3/4 hole near the bottom for drainage and there will be a lot of real stinky goop coming out of the bottom
    put at least a inch of salt over the bottom bigger the barrel more salt up to a couple of inch's for half a 55gallon drum

layer the fresh bait like making a lasagna when you fill it as high as you want seal it back up and let it sit for a month at least
    then your good to go
    make sure you put it somewhere the stench won't be a issue and wild animals will be attracted

you'll have the most oily stink you ever stuck on a hook and tough to rip off

herring work excellent ,but chove's or dines will make you happy

not only good for cats but as posted will kill any stripper swimming and most salt water species

add a little salt now an then and you'll have a full season of amo in the can thats never mush

Mission control: There's a Huge stench!?? Then that's a no go.
    Last edited by FISHISH; 11-12-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    layer the fresh bait like making a lasagna when you fill it as high as you want seal it back up and let it sit for a month at least
    then your good to go

make sure you put it somewhere the stench won't be a issue and wild animals will be attracted

you'll have the most oily stink you ever stuck on a hook and tough to rip off
    This belongs in the Recipes section cuz it sounds delicious!

LOL Dark Shadow. Yeah, cats think it's a great recipe, better even than lasagna.

has anyone ever tried lasagna as bait?

In my experience, I believe fresh work better. Maybe it smells better, maybe it tastes better... But I've just had much better luck with fresh over the years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast