Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Going out to lake Hemet

Default Going out to lake Hemet

Going out to lake Hemet. Was going to go to Silverwood, but friends wanted to travel further to "Make it more like a vacation". Any tips, spots, baits/lures? Will be camping there for 3 days. and have a boat. Also they stocked trout today, Today, Nov 10 will be going Nov. 22.

P.S. Not looking for exact spots but that would be great!

This might not be relevant to you, but I went shore fishing there in June, and the Bluegill fishing was really good then. I walked down the shore a couple hundred yards from the parking lot to the west and fished in a rocky area. At this time, the fishing might be quite different from then, especially from a boat. Perhaps trout are biting well now, but with the recent storm and colder weather, the bluegill probably aren't biting much.

They were still working on road repair after a washout a couple of years ago. There was a section of road, for a couple of miles, where they only let traffic go through one direction at a time. I think I could see where the washout was as we passed by.

Aside from rainbow trout and bluegill, the lake has a lot of channel and yellow bullhead catfish, green sunfish (caught some but they were really small), pumpkinseed sunfish and largemouth bass, plus a major carp infestation. (I even caught a carp on a fly there a few years ago, fishing for trout and bluegill, but I did not see any caught last time, I saw them splashing though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    This might not be relevant to you, but I went shore fishing there in June, and the Bluegill fishing was really good then. I walked down the shore a couple hundred yards from the parking lot to the west and fished in a rocky area. At this time, the fishing might be quite different from then, especially from a boat. Perhaps trout are biting well now, but with the recent storm and colder weather, the bluegill probably aren't biting much.

They were still working on road repair after a washout a couple of years ago. There was a section of road, for a couple of miles, where they only let traffic go through one direction at a time. I think I could see where the washout was as we passed by.

Aside from rainbow trout and bluegill, the lake has a lot of channel and yellow bullhead catfish, green sunfish (caught some but they were really small), pumpkinseed sunfish and largemouth bass, plus a major carp infestation. (I even caught a carp on a fly there a few years ago, fishing for trout and bluegill, but I did not see any caught last time, I saw them splashing though.)
    Did you say Carp? My buddy is a Carp Master now and I want to fish for trout and catfish. So maybe I can talk him into it! (how big are the Carp?) Little big small? All the above?

LOL sounds like they are EVERYWHERE!!! (the carp)
    Last edited by FISHISH; 11-11-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Hello Erik. The carp are all of the above. (The one that I caught on a fly was only about 1 pound.) So are the catfish. The Bluegill are medium but big enough and tasty. The Pumpkinseeds are all of the above and so are the bass, but the Green Sunfish are tiny. The trout tend not to spawn there, so they tend to be stockers, or holdovers if you are lucky.

Good luck to you and Fishish both.

If you don't mind me asking, are the carp everywhere or are they in a specific spot. And although I'm assuming all carp bait will work, I'm going to use pack bait and I'll probably write something up when I go, (something for both the carp and the trout).
    Last edited by FISHISH; 11-12-2020 at 02:08 PM.

The carp seem to be everywhere in the lake, Fishish, but I am sure that they don't bite as well when the weather is cooler. I have not sought them out, but they are around the areas where I fish for other species, splashing if not being caught. I think that if you want to find the largest concentrations of carp, though, that would probably be in the shallower, east end of the lake (farthest from the dam) close to where the road first approaches the lake.

What spots are good for trout? How about fly fishing. Is it good there? What flies are good?

I think the closer to the dam you can get, the better it is for trout. I believe there is a buoy line that prevents boats from going beyond a certain point toward the dam. There is also a fence going down into the water towards the dam if you are shore fishing.

Fish often like flies in Hemet Lake. I have used a bobber and fly technique to catch a lot of fish there, but in late spring or summer, not this time of year. I forget what patterns I used there but they didn't seem very picky. I think maybe Adams (which imitate midges), black ants, zug bugs and prince nymphs (both of which imitate mayfly larvae) would be ones that I have likely caught fish on there.

well, when I went they removed the bouy line. they did say that it was illegal to be within a certain distance of the dam but I saw people within yards of the dam.