Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Local Sandbass and Calico Trip w/pics

Default Local Sandbass and Calico Trip w/pics

Hi guys,

Sorry to say I am still pressed for time and haven't solved the sizing issue. Need to look for photo hosting options. Made a few boo-boos but I've fixed them with this edit.

Default Re: Local Sandbass and Calico Trip w/pics

Ron, glad you got onto the bass. We had lots of live squid a couple weeks ago but I never saw anyone use them, even when we went in shallow for sculpin, bass, etc.

I always put new line on before a trip after losing a real nice fish due to having less than 40 yards of line on my spool. I have to admit that I knew the risk, decided to chance it, and lost the fish. Change it up now!!!

Thanks for the report.
    One_Leg

Awesome report JapanRon!

So how many fish did you slay?

And again, I wish we would have spent more time in the shallows on our last trip.

Hi fishmaniac,

My personal count was pretty bad and I Ididn't start catching fish till I put Squid strips on the plastic. Grand total of 5 fish in the last 1 1/2 hours of the trip. Lots of bumps and tail grabs on the plastic only. Guys around me were fishing live Squid so that's a handicap for me.

Squid kept them hanging on longer I'll bet! Suspect I caught the Nice fish on plastic only as I believe I did a series of casts AFTER the strip had been pulled off. No strip in fishys mouth either!! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

On the CAT trip .... a couple of 1/4oz leadheads should hold you in good stead. Reason ... the fishys in the kelp seem to like lots of action and something that suspends longer going down on the fall. Think light in shallow and a little heavier 1/2oz mid-depth, then 3/4oz for the deeper water. Light 10 or 12lb-test fluorocarbon just about required!! Good luck

thanks,

JapanRon

Hey, thanks for the report. Glad you found a Sandy "Honey Hole"! Remember, size doesn't mater! :wink:

Tight lines,

GM