Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Screamers on my Okuma T40X Rods @ Lunchtime!

Default Screamers on my Okuma T40X Rods @ Lunchtime!

Trevally Hit At Lunchtime on my Okuma T40X Rod on Live Crab!

I was whipping Completely Hooked Lures "Scuba Blue" 2in grubs this morning inside the West Loch area. Caught & Released a few White Trevally papio. Then a screamer! Grabbed the lure and ran to the island across from me, couldn't stop it with my whipping rig of a 8' Okuma T-40X Steelhead with a 3000 spinner with 8lb SeaGuar monofilament. Whatever it was, IT WAS TO BIG FOR MY RIG TO HANDLE. It ran into the mangroves and spit the hook out. The #4 MZ red Sickle Hook was mangled. The glow threads were pulled off, the 10lb Sakura leader was chaffed, and the CHL 2in grub was "sashimi'd". Lol.

So i went up a notch and took out my 11ft Okuma "Drift" rod with a 4000 spinner with 30lb PP line. By then i had used up my left-over squid. No problem. I took my net and collected a few blue pincher crabs for live bait (have the bleeding fingers from baiting them w/pinchers still on). Used a #5 MZ hook with 12lb Sakura fluorocarbon leader. Within 5min of the crab hitting the water i caught this bad boy, a nice 17-1/2in White Trevally Jack Papio. I had fun reeling in this fish! His "buddy" tailing him was a Barred Jack much bigger then this fish! Didn't tighten the drag as that's how fish are lost, within gaffing or netting. estimating this fatboys weight around 4lbs. Unfortunately he swallowed the hook so had to keep it. I live for action like this!

I really miss my Okuma T40X rods. Okuma has since replaced this series with the Guide Select Pro line.

https://youtu.be/Ok21crapMgM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8520.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	52910