Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sunset action

Default Sunset action

It has been a while I fished from the surf but that seems to be the case with this forum as well. It seemed like in a couple hours before sundown and minimal surf it would be pleasant to wade through warm water and explore what low tide would reveal.

Started at my go-to hali spot and it had nothing but grass hanging on my LC hooks. At least it was consistent. Moved to somewhat random sand-bottom spot and one of clean LC runs finally got me on board with what I least expected- yellow fin croaker – only my second ever. Moved a bit more and worked sand near rocks for BSP and an unknown follower that splashed at me as I was pulling the lure out.

Just as sun was to set and I was leaving I saw a rather clean deep spot nearshore and first cast into it yielded solid hookup. I thought it was corbina snag at first (they were darting around) but then it did few nice runs on medium drag and legal size hali appeared. A boy with dad and couple beach goers were just as excited to see it and decided to take this one home as it was one of the fattest I’ve seen, even though only 27”. It was time for fresh fish although I was tempted to release him as I usually do
    Have fun out there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	52900  

Nice job landing the flatty.

People are getting out just not reporting.

Thanks for the report,
    Robert
    <><

Everyone has their own network to share these days; I'm grateful I got on FNN few years ago when it was active in saltwater. Recently I've seen a few bait-n-wait folks and few targeting corbina with crab, including fly-rodders in this area. The warm weekend brought a lot of poeple over but it will get quiet here in few weeks.
    There is a lot of bait near kelp but not much near shore and most places have all the broken up vegetatiion you can imagine that is hard to cast past.