Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Wohlford press release 10/2/20

Default Lake Wohlford press release 10/2/20

Date: 10/2/20

Park hours: 6:00 A.M. – 6:30 P.M. (Closed Weekdays Open Weekends Only )
    Dock closes: 6:00 P.M.
    Last Plant: 750 lbs. of Channel Catfish Friday July 31st.

Next Plant: Rainbow Trout in December.

Water temperature: At surface 75.74 f., 5.65 D.O. @ 15’ 75.02 f., 5.16 D.O.

Water level: Low level, private watercraft are currently banned.

Permits and boat rentals are sold at the Ranger Station. Currently we are credit/debit only. We do not sell fishing licenses so anglers must acquire them elsewhere prior to their visit. The lake is offering $20 all day motor boats to active military every Saturday. We will re-open seven days a week in mid-December following the first trout plant.

Facial coverings are required when purchasing a fishing permit or when entering or exiting the boats or boat dock area. Ongoing health protocols dictate that only half of our boat fleet is available for rent on any given day. Visitors desiring a boat should arrive early because they sell out quickly.

To protect Wohlford from invasive exotic Quagga mussels there is a ban on private watercraft and equipment that could have been exposed to mussels. Restricted equipment includes; private boats, canoes, kayaks, float tubes, trolling motors, fish finders, anchors, and other equipment that contacts the water.

Catfish can be found throughout the lake, but typically bite best at either end. Lake Wohlford cats are partial to shrimp, cut mackerel, and chicken liver.

Small to medium sized bass are being caught using poppers, rattle traps, and assorted dark colored plastics.

Crappie continue to be caught in small numbers tight to shore in the early morning. Crappie prefer live golden shiners or mini-jigs.

Each month Whopper Contest winners in four categories are awarded a free fishing and boating permit. For information on the contest or fishing conditions, please contact the Ranger Station at (760) 839-4346.

To view our current fish photos, visit our website at:

http://www.wohlfordlake.com

WHOPPER CONTEST WINNERS FOR SEPT. WERE:

JAMES SABERON 6.50# BASS - TIEN VU 1.90# CRAPPIE

JAIRO GOMEZ 10.80# CATFISH

haven't fished it in a long time but have a couple of friends that live in the area
    and fish it regular
    they target bass and pick up a few trout year around
    i was also told, don't know if it's true that if you catch 2 carp per person
    you get your boat rental fee refunded

if that's still the deal than it is a deal

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    haven't fished it in a long time but have a couple of friends that live in the area
    and fish it regular
    they target bass and pick up a few trout year around
    i was also told, don't know if it's true that if you catch 2 carp per person
    you get your boat rental fee refunded

if that's still the deal than it is a deal
    I go there all the time and have never a thing about the Carp. (but I'll ask next time I go) The Catfishing is off the hook if you know what the secret Catfish bait is! It's nothing they list in the Press report.

secret weapon is a rancid can of cat food
    with a dozen ice pick punctures in it
    soak that for a hour or so and the whiskers will mount up
    conventional wisdom says stinkbait , but i also have caught a bunch on lurers on the slow bottom troll or even on popers in shallow water