Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's going to be a Crappie year next year!

Thanks for the 411 Tucks.

Been out there the past two weekends and it has been steady pickings.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Thanks for the 411 Tucks.

Been out there the past two weekends and it has been steady pickings.
    Good for you! Helping people and animals creates good Karma. I had to trap and take to the Vet one of my Feral cats I look after. The exact day I released him after he was treated, I caught my PB Catfish! Lol Another thing I didn't know about the Lake was the tremendous trout fishery it's known for! The owner of one of the Local tackle shops told me it was the best trout fishery in the lower part of the state. Another thing I learned about the Lake from my Buddy at the tackle shop. It has a zero tolerance of private boaters in regards to the Mussels. You must get your boat inspected and tagged and then take it home for 30 day's of quarantine! Take it any where else and it starts over again! So no big Bass tournaments to speak of, or very many $50,000 Bass boats bogarting the Bass! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-13-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2020-09-25-at-11.05.38-AM-1068x666.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	52892
    It will be packed and cold

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2020-09-25-at-11.05.38-AM-1068x666.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	52892
    It will be packed and cold
    Wrong Native American tribes named after a Lake! We were talking about Lake Cachuma not Cuyamaca! My buddy made the same mistake! (you know how those Native American tribe names all sound a like?) Lol Please folks, no hate mail on that one! It's only a joke!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-13-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Wrong Native American tribes named after a Lake! We were talking about Lake Cachuma not Cuyamaca! My buddy made the same mistake! (you know how those Native American tribe names all sound a like?) Lol Please folks, no hate mail on that one! It's only a joke!!!!
    Sorry Etuck, my bad, the worst thing is my daughter is a senior at University of Santa Barbara. So when I visit I usually fish Stardust for rockfish and Goleta Pier. But I have fished Cachuma quite a few times. Worst my wife's parents live in Julian, so I know cuyamaca too. Don't know how I mixed them up.

Etuck, change the subject, I fish Dana Dwarf, every two weeks, but going on an extended 3/4 day boat out of Davies, your an Orange County guy any advice on bonita and yellowtail?

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    Etuck, change the subject, I fish Dana Dwarf, every two weeks, but going on an extended 3/4 day boat out of Davies, your an Orange County guy any advice on bonita and yellowtail?
    That's funny you ask!! I'm rigging up for Yellowtail right as we speak! We are looking to go a little further South out of La Jolla to fish for those critters. Their bigger down there and are biting Yo Yo Irons and Dropper Loops. Up here it's mostly flyline baits for the Yellowtail. As for the Bonito, "I like the Colt sniper lures for the Bones!" This Season is far from over, so anything can happen.

big tides coming with the moon this week

the whole north county is holding pinner tails 4 lbs or so
    it's like being at a pay to fish place ,every cast if you find the right patty
    better hunting for dorado at least you might hang a 15lb fish

if your yachting and can go where you want oceanside and the 181 might be your best bet
    a chance for better quality fish including yellowfin and big bones lots of bait and 74 degree purple water

Default Cachuma Lake

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    For the 2nd time in 2 weeks I went to a known Crappie lake and checked it out! (This time it was lake Cachuma) Did we catch any Crappie? NOOOO, but we didn't get Skunked either. We caught Catfish, LMB, Bluegill and for the first time in CA, we caught a nice Small mouth Bass! But more importantly I saw the lake and now I know where the floating bathroom is in Cachuma bay. Where the narrows are and where the back of the island is located and where several shallow shelves are located. I can't wait for next spring to fish for Crappie. I finally figured out how to catch Crappie at Lake Wohlford, in addition we are dialed in for lake Hodges too! Now with Piru and Cachuma in the mix, in addition to the Grand prize of Lake Isabella and a pontoon boat up there just for us. I expect to have a very good Crappie year! Lol
    Heard the Crappie bite is on. Has anyone been lately? Anyone going and want a fishing partner?

Since I already started this thread, I might as well use it to describe our Crappie fishing for 2021. Let me start off and say, "I'm not really the best Crappie fishermen that ever lived!" BUT I DO LIKE FISHING FOR THEM ALOT! Because I don't have any real natural talent in catching these things, I must use my Brain to be successful! That means know which lakes have the Best population of these things and know when to go! The Spring bite is always a good one (they spawn in the spring just like Bass do) so I'm looking for any reports of action on them this time of year. Before any of the Big lakes went off, one of our Local lakes goes off on some Big Ole Crappie from shore. These Crappie are nice!!!! Nothing less then 1 pound and I kid you not, 2 of my friends caught something that looked like a 3 pound Crappie! All from shore in a Local lake. These things wanted 2 kinds of Lures. Underspins and Mini jigs under a Bobber. It was never wide open, but our best day was 20 Crappies for our group. It fell off very badly last week and I only caught 2 last Sunday on an under spin lure. So now it's time to go on a road trip for these Crappies!

First up Lake Cachuma.

I first got a report on these things a couple of weeks ago and it was "WIDE OPEN" on Crappie on the troll up there! It then tapered off to a decent bite for those who know how to troll up Crappies. I looked for a weather window (it's a windy lake) and found it Thursday 3/18. Almost no wind most of the day and Sunny sky's! That's the time to go! In a couple of day's after that, it will be blowing 18 knots or more of wind for a week straight! For this adventure, I've got Racer X and Stretch Cunningham with me. The plan was to gather some intell up there on where the Crappies where and fish them most of the day. Hit a few main points for Bass on the way out of there. That was my plan, Stretch had his own ideas! So we started off trolling in the right part of the lake, but with the wrong lures! How did I know we had the wrong lures, instead of they just weren't biting? Because their is a guide boat up there and he's getting bit pretty consistently on the Crappies! Instead of working the problem and changing lures, Stretch wants to throw in the towel and go Bass fishing! So we got a mutiny on the boat!!! I'm running the boat, but Stretch drove so I gave in! So we wasted the next 2 hours losing Bass lures in the Brush!

When Stretch finally gave in and said, "Let's go back to trolling for Crappies!" Yea I thought but we must change up the lures! We did and on our first lap, we caught 3 nice Crappies! I even changed up what I was trolling and it now it was pretty consistent on getting bit on the Crappies! What we got bit on was tormentor lures weighted down. A tormentor lure is a small minnow style lure you can't get anymore! It was my best lure for trout at Irvine lake where I kicked butt there on them trolling! When I found out that was a discontinued lure, I raided every tackle store that carried them and got 92 of them! Stretch was too proud to use any of my lures, so he was kind of a weak link in the chain of getting bit! The neat part of these Lake Cachuma Crappie was their size, a typical one weighed 1 1/2 pounds and even a smaller one was over a pound. None of these small lake Isabella size Crappie for us! Lol The bad part was on these trolled Crappies was their paper mouth tendency! We had 5 fall off the hooks in reeling them in! We did end up with double digits on them landed! So over all, it was Fun day to be on the water in absolutely beautiful weather.

Next stop for us on these Crappies, it looks like we will be heading South in our efforts to conquer the mighty Crappie!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-19-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast