Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's going to be a Crappie year next year!

Default It's going to be a Crappie year next year!

For the 2nd time in 2 weeks I went to a known Crappie lake and checked it out! (This time it was lake Cachuma) Did we catch any Crappie? NOOOO, but we didn't get Skunked either. We caught Catfish, LMB, Bluegill and for the first time in CA, we caught a nice Small mouth Bass! But more importantly I saw the lake and now I know where the floating bathroom is in Cachuma bay. Where the narrows are and where the back of the island is located and where several shallow shelves are located. I can't wait for next spring to fish for Crappie. I finally figured out how to catch Crappie at Lake Wohlford, in addition we are dialed in for lake Hodges too! Now with Piru and Cachuma in the mix, in addition to the Grand prize of Lake Isabella and a pontoon boat up there just for us. I expect to have a very good Crappie year! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-29-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Were you on a rental?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Were you on a rental?
    Yes I was on all lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Yes I was on all lakes.
    Nice! I'm thinking of going to Cachuma and trying to get me some green and brown bass.

What were the conditions? Any fish busting on top yet? Shad? How much was the rental? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nice! I'm thinking of going to Cachuma and trying to get me some green and brown bass.

What were the conditions? Any fish busting on top yet? Shad? How much was the rental? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Let me give you the rundown for a first timer.

It cost $10 to park and they open at 6:00 am. However, at that time no one is in the parking booth at the entrance. So what you do is, go 100 feet to the right and get an envelope and put $10 in the envelope and put it in the box. Put the receipt on the Dash board.

The boat rental opens at 6:30 am and they have a big fleet but their is a crowd on the weekends. (so don't get their too late) All boats must be in at 5:00 pm. The cheapest boat is $93 all day and they have a slightly bigger boat for $120. They even have some boats with steering wheels. Here is the weird part, you put a deposit up front $150 for the $120 boat we rented, but you pay for the boat at the end. So in effect they give you a $30 refund at the end of the day.

As for the fishing.

The Bass fishing was pretty good. We talked to a guy who was in front of us in line for a boat rental. At the end of the day, he caught 10 and lost a bunch! He fished weird too, he got in front of the Looney birds diving for shad and threw top water right around them! (interesting way to fish) He was in Cachuma Bay. It's a big deep lake, so fishing the shoreline of the banks is where you want to fish. My buddy been following a guide on insta gram and he is catching a lot of both kinds of Bass. We found his dumb arse fishing right above the narrows on the bank. (the narrows are closed now) Hopefully, this will help you out a little bit!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-30-2020 at 01:52 PM.

It cost $10 to park and they open at 6:00 am. However, at that time no one is in the parking booth at the entrance. So what you do is, go 100 feet to the right and get an envelope and put $10 in the envelope and put it in the box. Put the receipt on the Dash board.
    Sweet! I'll be sure to get there at 6 cuz it'll take me like 1/2 an hour to get 12 rods, big gear bag, cooler, trolling motor, battery, etc from the truck.

The boat rental opens at 6:30 am and they have a big fleet but their is a crowd on the weekends. (so don't get their too late) All boats must be in at 5:00 pm. The cheapest boat is $93 all day and they have a slightly bigger boat for $120. They even have some boats with steering wheels. Here is the weird part, you put a deposit up front $150 for the $120 boat we rented, but you pay for the boat at the end. So in effect they give you a $30 refund at the end of the day.
    Yeah, I'm socially distancing and going by myself, so I'll take the smallest boat.

As for the fishing.

The Bass fishing was pretty good. We talked to a guy who was in front of us in line for a boat rental. At the end of the day, he caught 10 and lost a bunch! He fished weird too, he got in front of the Looney birds diving for shad and threw top water right around them! (interesting way to fish) He was in Cachuma Bay. It's a big deep lake, so fishing the shoreline of the banks is where you want to fish. My buddy been following a guide on insta gram and he is catching a lot of both kinds of Bass. We found his dumb arse fishing right above the narrows on the bank. (the narrows are closed now) Hopefully, this will help you out a little bit!
    Thanks eTuck! Was the guide Rich Tauber? I see him fishing Casitas and Cachuma a lot and saw a few posts he's made as of late. Hopefully my adventure is better than my last trip to Castaic where i pounded the shore for 10 hours for one bite. How is the lake level?

Sweet! I'll be sure to get there at 6 cuz it'll take me like 1/2 an hour to get 12 rods, big gear bag, cooler, trolling motor, battery, etc from the truck.

Yeah, I'm socially distancing and going by myself, so I'll take the smallest boat.

Thanks eTuck! Was the guide Rich Tauber? I see him fishing Casitas and Cachuma a lot and saw a few posts he's made as of late. Hopefully my adventure is better than my last trip to Castaic where i pounded the shore for 10 hours for one bite. How is the lake level?
    It was Rich Tauber. It's up pretty high. One thing, you do have to climb the highest stairs I ever seen to get to the boat dock. (no wagons!) Lol You will do better then 1 bite! We were fishing with Crappie lures and every other kind of fish kept eating them! (including 2 catfish)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-30-2020 at 05:22 PM.

It was Rich Tauber. It's up pretty high. One thing, you do have to climb the highest stairs I ever seen to get to the boat dock. (no wagons!)
    Well, if you ever fished DVL when it was "Closed" except to shore fisherman and people who would slum around in rentals, that ramp that was out of the water was torture.

Dragging a 50 pound blue top Optima down and up that thing wasn't too much fun.

Lol You will do better then 1 bite! We were fishing with Crappie lures and every other kind of fish kept eating them! (including 2 catfish)
    You mentioned "the narrows" was closed. What's that mean? They have it buoyed off?

I see that it was a deep awesome lake

Well, if you ever fished DVL when it was "Closed" except to shore fisherman and people who would slum around in rentals, that ramp that was out of the water was torture.

Dragging a 50 pound blue top Optima down and up that thing wasn't too much fun.

You mentioned "the narrows" was closed. What's that mean? They have it buoyed off?
    The narrows are buoyed off!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast