Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you Burn a Lake by making a fishing report about it?

Default Can you Burn a Lake by making a fishing report about it?

In another thread the OP thought that was a big reason why the fish reports have become few and far between on this website. I gave my opinion of one of the reasons (which actually their is many) why their are fewer reports on here now then as before. I'm not going to just state my opinion or call people paranoid, but give my own personal experiences that prove posting fish reports are not bad for the lake. You can make up your own minds when I'm done stating my case.

1. How much readership and influence does this website have?

An average fish report on here might get as few as a few hundred people reading it or a little over a thousand people at most viewing the thread. Now compare that to Western Outdoor News? Their readership is 10's of thousands or more then FNN. Yet when they report on hundreds of lakes a week, I don't see any of them get a stampede of people! Yes their are overcrowded lakes at times but their is usually a reason why. (it's not because someone wrote a fish report about it!) It was because their was a Free fishing derby there for example. (the lake was stocked with a tremendous amount of fish at the time) Or it was opening day at some well known reservoir with lots of hungry fish that haven't been fished for in months! Those are some of the reasons why you see a lake that looks like an overcrowded party boat fishing for Sand Bass! Lol

2. How many times have the reader read about wide open fishing at a lake you've never been too and just showed up and wiped them out?

It happened to me just 3 times in my whole life! One of them was just last year at Lake Silverwood in June, when they were forced to dump 20,000 pounds of trout in a small area in only 10 day's! (that was just a freaky thing that will probably never happen again!)

3. My own experience at writing fish reports on FNN.

When I joined this website 9 years ago I was the park catfish king! They were stocking them almost monthly back then and I would catch between 700- 1,000 catfish a year. I did my own experiments, I would catch 30 catfish that day and write a report and see if in the next day or two would their be any change in the amount of anglers fishing for them? Nope!!!! Nothing would change. If you think about it for a minute, a park catfish is the perfect fish for the imaginary Bucket Brigade to show up and fish for! The catfish is good eating, their is no enforcements on limits and their Free to fish for! (a perfect Bucket Brigade scenario) Expect the Bucket Brigade doesn't get their information on the Internet! (they have their own sources)

4. My own experience about reading a fish report on FNN and trying to duplicate the results.

I sorta thread jack a thread last week and got roughed up in the process. So I kinda wanted to prove my point in real time! So what I did was look at a recent FNN fish report where the OP wiped them out and the tried to duplicate the results. So on Friday Sept 18, 2020 I went to Lake Piru with 2 of my fellow FNN fishing buddy's and tried to catch some Crappies. I've never been to the lake before, so I was only using the information the OP put out in a fish report. Before I tell you the results, I'm going to tell you what we were fishing with. (to illustrate that we were better armed then your average Bucket Brigadier) Now a true Bucket Brigadier wants to fish as cheap as possible! They might be willing to pay the $14 parking fee and fish from shore. But renting a boat for $100 isn't very cost effective! (we did) We were armed with #2 pound test line and plenty of Mini jigs and Poor Mans baits! Plus Crappie niblets and meal worms to make our baits as appealing as possible! We also brought 3 fish graphs with us to see the bottom and mark any fish or bait schools. We took the information we got from the fish report and fished are butts off for 7 hours. I also think we fished one of the better Crappie area's too! We didn't even come close to what the OP caught! Let me rephrase that, "we weren't even in the same ball park as the OP!" Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-21-2020 at 02:42 PM.

everyone should share info
    because there is a big difference
    between fishing and catching and without one you'll never figure out the other

Surf fishing is definitely burnable. Hence the reason nobody shows their areas.

But lake fishing, especially stocked trout+catfish, are meant to be used! There is a whole nother discussion about our limited resources and why we need stockings in man-made lakes.

Unfortunately it's hard to report when there are so few stockings now.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Surf fishing is definitely burnable. Hence the reason nobody shows their areas.

But lake fishing, especially stocked trout+catfish, are meant to be used! There is a whole nother discussion about our limited resources and why we need stockings in man-made lakes.

Unfortunately it's hard to report when there are so few stockings now.
    You got me on that one! I've only surf fished once in my life, so I know nothing about that! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-21-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    In another thread the OP thought that was a big reason why the fish reports have become few and far between on this website. I gave my opinion of one of the reasons (which actually their is many) why their are fewer reports on here now then as before. I'm not going to just state my opinion or call people paranoid, but give my own personal experiences that prove posting fish reports are not bad for the lake. You can make up your own minds when I'm done stating my case.

An average fish report on here might get as few as a few hundred people reading it or a little over a thousand people at most viewing the thread. Now compare that to Western Outdoor News? Their readership is 10's of thousands or more then FNN. Yet when they report on hundreds of lakes a week, I don't see any of them get a stampede of people! Yes their are overcrowded lakes at times but their is usually a reason why. (it's not because someone wrote a fish report about it!) It was because their was a Free fishing derby there for example. (the lake was stocked with a tremendous amount of fish at the time) Or it was opening day at some well known reservoir with lots of hungry fish that haven't been fished for in months! Those are some of the reasons why you see a lake that looks like an overcrowded party boat fishing for Sand Bass! Lol

2. How many times have the reader read about wide open fishing at a lake you've never been too and just showed up and wiped them out?

It happened to me just 3 times in my whole life! One of them was just last year at Lake Silverwood in June, when they were forced to dump 20,000 pounds of trout in a small area in only 10 day's! (that was just a freaky thing that will probably never happen again!)

When I joined this website 9 years ago I was the park catfish king! They were stocking them almost monthly back then and I would catch between 700- 1,000 catfish a year. I did my own experiments, I would catch 30 catfish that day and write a report and see if in the next day or two would their be any change in the amount of anglers fishing for them? Nope!!!! Nothing would change. If you think about it for a minute, a park catfish is the perfect fish for the imaginary Bucket Brigade to show up and fish for! The catfish is good eating, their is no enforcements on limits and their Free to fish for! (a perfect Bucket Brigade scenario) Expect the Bucket Brigade doesn't get their information on the Internet! (they have their own sources)

4. My own experience about reading a fish report on FNN and trying to duplicate the results.

I sorta thread jack a thread last week and got roughed up in the process. So I kinda wanted to prove my point in real time! So what I did was look at a recent FNN fish report where the OP wiped them out and the tried to duplicate the results. So on Friday Sept 18, 2020 I went to Lake Piru with 2 of my fellow FNN fishing buddy's and tried to catch some Crappies. I've never been to the lake before, so I was using the information the OP put out in a fish report. Before I tell you the results, I'm going to tell you what we were fishing with. (to illustrate that we were better armed then your average Bucket Brigadier) Now a true Bucket Brigadier wants to fish as cheap as possible! They might be willing to pay the $14 parking fee and fish from shore. But renting a boat for $100 isn't very cost effective! (we did) We were armed with #2 pound test and plenty of Mini jigs and Poor Mans baits! Plus Crappie niblets and meal worms to make our baits as appealing as possible! We also brought 3 fish graphs with us to see the bottom and mark any fish or bait schools. We took the information we got from the fish report and fished are butts off for 7 hours. I think we fished one of the better Crappie area's too! We didn't even come close to what the OP caught! Let me rephrase that, "we weren't even in the same ball park as the OP!" Lol
    Nope. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC579216-60B5-41EE-A5E1-F7AA9022CF50.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	52857

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post

I sorta thread jack a thread last week and got roughed up in the process. So I kinda wanted to prove my point in real time! So what I did was look at a recent FNN fish report where the OP wiped them out and the tried to duplicate the results. So on Friday Sept 18, 2020 I went to Lake Piru with 2 of my fellow FNN fishing buddy's and tried to catch some Crappies. I've never been to the lake before, so I was only using the information the OP put out in a fish report. Before I tell you the results, I'm going to tell you what we were fishing with. (to illustrate that we were better armed then your average Bucket Brigadier) Now a true Bucket Brigadier wants to fish as cheap as possible! They might be willing to pay the $14 parking fee and fish from shore. But renting a boat for $100 isn't very cost effective! (we did) We were armed with #2 pound test line and plenty of Mini jigs and Poor Mans baits! Plus Crappie niblets and meal worms to make our baits as appealing as possible! We also brought 3 fish graphs with us to see the bottom and mark any fish or bait schools. We took the information we got from the fish report and fished are butts off for 7 hours. I also think we fished one of the better Crappie area's too! We didn't even come close to what the OP caught! Let me rephrase that, "we weren't even in the same ball park as the OP!" Lol
    It's called fishing not catching for a reason in salt and fresh water. You have to have skills, fish do not wait for you to catch them.

I agree with you, Erik. I have fished some of the same places for many years with no drop off in success, or it drops off then improves again. I have not seen declines in short term success either. For example, I did fish a few days ago, at a place that I supposedly "burned" earlier this summer by describing to people on this site exactly where it is, what time of day and how I fished. Guess what? The fishing was even better a few days ago. The fish were small bluegills, and I released them, but I had fun catching about 15 of them in a fairly short time, almost all on flies (adams and mosquito). There was no burning done whatsoever. My fishing neighbors also mentioned how they had caught larger ones in the area a couple of weeks earlier, but they had moved farther offshore as fish will often do. Ups and downs in fishing success largely depend on conditions that have nothing to do with people fishing a particular spot, unless it is a very small spot that a lot of people fish. Speaking of surf fishing, there is no larger body of water than the ocean, so no, it does not make sense to me that surf spots quickly get fished out, unless there is very heavy pressure on a small area. Nonetheless, fish move around a lot.

Also, there are some hike in places in the sierra, and even some roadside ones, where I have caught wild trout consistently with no drop off over the years. In fact, a couple of roadside ones that are not stocked, has only gotten better every time that I have fished them.

I may not post much anymore about my fishing trips, but the reasons are not due to fear of others taking over "my spots." I think if a person posts something, it should be informative and tell where you went and what you did, rather than being vague. These are the types of reports and videos that I think most highly of, even though I am unlikely to attempt to imitate them. I think we should keep in mind that there are a plethora of fishing spots, as well as different fish species to fish for, and different fishing techniques, so I think it is best to look at a report as a slice of life example of what can happen, but not what you as the reader should particularly be doing. Rather, there are lessons from others' reports, if they are generous enough with the information, which can be generalized and be of help in your own fishing situations, wherever and whenever that may be.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 09-21-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    everyone should share info
    because there is a big difference
    between fishing and catching and without one you'll never figure out the other
    Agreen to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I agree with you, Erik. I have fished some of the same places for many years with no drop off in success, or it drops off then improves again. I have not seen declines in short term success either. For example, I did fish a few days ago, at a place that I supposedly "burned" earlier this summer by describing to people on this site exactly where it is, what time of day and how I fished. Guess what? The fishing was even better a few days ago. The fish were small bluegills, and I released them, but I had fun catching about 15 of them in a fairly short time, almost all on flies (adams and mosquito). There was no burning done whatsoever. My fishing neighbors also mentioned how they had caught larger ones in the area a couple of weeks earlier, but they had moved farther offshore as fish will often do. Ups and downs in fishing success largely depend on conditions that have nothing to do with people fishing a particular spot, unless it is a very small spot that a lot of people fish. Speaking of surf fishing, there is no larger body of water than the ocean, so no, it does not make sense to me that surf spots quickly get fished out, unless there is very heavy pressure on a small area. Nonetheless, fish move around a lot.

Also, there are some hike in places in the sierra, and even some roadside ones, where I have caught wild trout consistently with no drop off over the years. In fact, a couple of roadside ones that are not stocked, has only gotten better every time that I have fished them.

I may not post much anymore about my fishing trips, but the reasons are not due to fear of others taking over "my spots." I think if a person posts something, it should be informative and tell where you went and what you did, rather than being vague. These are the types of reports and videos that I think most highly of, even though I am unlikely to attempt to imitate them. I think we should keep in mind that there are a plethora of fishing spots, as well as different fish species to fish for, and different fishing techniques, so I think it is best to look at a report as a slice of life example of what can happen, but not what you as the reader should particularly be doing. Rather, there are lessons from others' reports, if they are generous enough with the information, which can be generalized and be of help in your own fishing situations, wherever and whenever that may be.
    Well said! My hotspot for the last 2 months is still Lake Wohlford for catfish! I've been fishing it every week and it's still producing! Even posting a few reports of some pretty darn good fishing didn't change a thing in the amount of people fishing the lake.

I've fished Lake Skinner for 15+ years. All it takes is one good Striper post, either by an individual fisherman or W.O.N., and the next day the line to get in is out to Rancho California. I would be OK with that, if everyone plays by the rules. The problem is that they don't. I've sat in the distance off the buoy line and watched guys load coolers with fish that are way over the 10 fish limit.
    It's even worse when the bluegill are bedding. I've seen rental boats with 3 or 4 guys in them that don't give a damn about limits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast