Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DVL this morning

Default DVL this morning

Hit the lake this morning at opening, fishing sucked. Lake is overrun with 10ft tall grass most areas.
    Fished plastics, crankbaits, spinnerbaits. 1 dink for the day, headed home by 1pm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200920_074312.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	52855  

Thanks for the report. Even a bad fishing day report is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by eah View Post
    Thanks for the report. Even a bad fishing day report is appreciated.

That is true,

You broke the skunk!
    Fish deeper next time”

CM

There's a couple lakes here in SoCal that get that long, tall grass in the hot summertime in 10 to 20 FOW, and we have done quite well fishing right in the middle of it. By fishing our jigs vertically at various depths, (because you can't cast and retrieve in the grass.) we eventually found the crappies. They are hard to see with some electronics because they blend right in with the grass. You need to be super quiet, You'll not catch anything at first for a while, then after they get used to the boat above them, they start biting. After the bites stops, we'd move on to another bunch of grass. Don't dismiss the grass. The crappie love it at times.
    Last edited by fishmounter; 10-02-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Reminds me of a pattern I learned back in the summer of 2011.

Maybe someone can confirm the name of the vegetation that grows long vertically....is it Milfoil? Coontail? I don't know which.

Anywho....an old fishing buddy and I fished Lower Castaic one day.....my first time out on the lagoon in a boat. I was amazed by the vertical vegetation. It was abundant and LONG. Every 2-4 feet there would be a space, or an opening, where you cold present your lure vertical and catch one here and there. I could feel my lure hit the bottom, in some cases, 15-18 feet down. Mostly 8-10 feet though. I didnt realize the length of these things fishing from shore. It gave me some ideas on how to fish the lake, seeing what I observed from a boaters perspective for the first time.

The following weekend, I headed back to the lagoon-- at night. I walked over to a location not too far from where we caught a couple fish on the boat the weekend before. This was the area where I had observed every 2-4 feet, there was an opening in between the thick vertical vegetation. I told myself on the boat, that I am going to come back at night and toss a senko down one of these "openings". I felt that the boat and trolling motor spooked most big bass so our presentations would only entice smaller fish for the most that used the vegetataion for cover. But at night, and from the bank, I felt I could present with better stealth.

I was unsuccessful finding an "opening" in the veg 80% of the time after a cast. My senko didnt sink at all. But when I made the right placement, I could feel my senko falling perfectly in between them. As deep as 8 to 10 feet or so. After 15 mins or so of rying to get that perfect cast -- I get ROCKED! Set the hook hard. I knew it was a giant. Never felt a head shake like that. It surfaced, jumped, and the splash was loud! After 2-3 more jumps, a camper (hint to my location), heard the splash and came down with his kid to see what I had hooked on. They watch me try to get this thing out of the veggies. It was hard. I kept saying out loud that this fish isn't gonne get through! After 3 or 4 minutes, I felt a pop, and the fish began to swim out of the veg, and I muscled it in to the shoreline.

Result? My first DD. A 10.2. As I lifted the fish out of the water, the mans' kid bolted back up the trail to their camp site. The fish scared him!

After this night, I became more inclined to fish thick vegetation. I was reserved from getting "in the middle" of the stuff before. And after this summer night, I would go back to multiple locations, fishing the veggies with a top water, senko of course, and a heavy jig or punch bait. Early mornings, the top water dominated, and as the day went on senko would get the job done. The heavy jig or punch bait didn't pan as much, as goon fish are over-pressured, and the heavy baits made em swim off most of the time I guessed.

Good memories!

Quote Originally Posted by CL SmooV View Post
    Reminds me of a pattern I learned back in the summer of 2011.

Maybe someone can confirm the name of the vegetation that grows long vertically....is it Milfoil? Coontail? I don't know which.

Anywho....an old fishing buddy and I fished Lower Castaic one day.....my first time out on the lagoon in a boat. I was amazed by the vertical vegetation. It was abundant and LONG. Every 2-4 feet there would be a space, or an opening, where you cold present your lure vertical and catch one here and there. I could feel my lure hit the bottom, in some cases, 15-18 feet down. Mostly 8-10 feet though. I didnt realize the length of these things fishing from shore. It gave me some ideas on how to fish the lake, seeing what I observed from a boaters perspective for the first time.

The following weekend, I headed back to the lagoon-- at night. I walked over to a location not too far from where we caught a couple fish on the boat the weekend before. This was the area where I had observed every 2-4 feet, there was an opening in between the thick vertical vegetation. I told myself on the boat, that I am going to come back at night and toss a senko down one of these "openings". I felt that the boat and trolling motor spooked most big bass so our presentations would only entice smaller fish for the most that used the vegetataion for cover. But at night, and from the bank, I felt I could present with better stealth.

I was unsuccessful finding an "opening" in the veg 80% of the time after a cast. My senko didnt sink at all. But when I made the right placement, I could feel my senko falling perfectly in between them. As deep as 8 to 10 feet or so. After 15 mins or so of rying to get that perfect cast -- I get ROCKED! Set the hook hard. I knew it was a giant. Never felt a head shake like that. It surfaced, jumped, and the splash was loud! After 2-3 more jumps, a camper (hint to my location), heard the splash and came down with his kid to see what I had hooked on. They watch me try to get this thing out of the veggies. It was hard. I kept saying out loud that this fish isn't gonne get through! After 3 or 4 minutes, I felt a pop, and the fish began to swim out of the veg, and I muscled it in to the shoreline.

Result? My first DD. A 10.2. As I lifted the fish out of the water, the mans' kid bolted back up the trail to their camp site. The fish scared him!

After this night, I became more inclined to fish thick vegetation. I was reserved from getting "in the middle" of the stuff before. And after this summer night, I would go back to multiple locations, fishing the veggies with a top water, senko of course, and a heavy jig or punch bait. Early mornings, the top water dominated, and as the day went on senko would get the job done. The heavy jig or punch bait didn't pan as much, as goon fish are over-pressured, and the heavy baits made em swim off most of the time I guessed.

Good memories!

This is the one that works
    For me

CM