Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Why fish barbless?

Default Why fish barbless?

So why should we fish using barbless hooks?
    1)If you intend on releasing your catch or undesireable species using barbless hooks will do less damage to the fish you catch so you can safely release them. Always keep constant pressure otherwise the fish will throw the hook.
    2)You could injure or possibly kill protected marine species like turtles using a barbed hook. In Hawaii the Marine Base located in Kaneohe Bay on Oahu has issued a notice that starting in 2018 all on base fishing will be by barbless circle hooks. This is the first time i've heard of restrictions made based on the use of barbless hooks. But i'm all for it.

On this day a nearby GT "Ulua" fisherman accidently hooked a huge Hawaiian Monk Seal, a locally protected species. It wasn't the angler's fault or intent to hook the seal, it happens. But using barbless hooks will cause most hooked animals to "shake" the hook off since the barb is designed to keep the hook embedded.

https://youtu.be/Kf_tLYul2QQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 2.46.52 AM.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	52852  

Fishing barbless also prevents co-pays at Urgent Care as well.

Damn! I hate it when that happens.

Less injury to fish. Why not.