Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: June Loop Report and South Lake 8/30/2020

Default June Loop Report and South Lake 8/30/2020

Finally decided this was the year to try out South Lake / Parcher's Resort and was rewarded with some nice trout. Caught these by a creek inlet right next to shore.
    Also fished the dam in the evening and got a few planters. Other families were also hooking up in either corner of the dam.
    That's some great fishing in an otherwise down year around the Sierras.
    (Fish Story) There really are some big fish in the lake. Water clarity is 15ft+ and you can see their fat outlines. Even at the dam there were some fatties mixed in that bolted once hooked up with other fish.
    I definitely have a plan for next time I come back.

We also stayed in the June Loop. Wonderful accommodations and scenery as usual.
    Our usual destination lakes Gull and Grant are planting biweekly from Oregon. Sadly we departed the day of the plant (thursday 8/27) and did not catch anything this trip.
    However family that stayed an extra day caught some fish in Gull in a boat and from shore.

One sad thing to report is huge amount of trash / broken glass bottles at every spot we stopped at.
    Grant had 10+ poop bags worth of dog crap in my parking spot alone. I cleaned up what I could as a fellow dog bringer but there was a lot left.
    Mammoth creek and pretty much every lake we visited had so so much broken glass. My dog will need to wear shoes from now on.
    I doubt any readers here are to blame but hopefully we can do our part to clean up a little more than we leave.

Thanks for your report and pics. I never fished south lake before but plan to visit next time up there with my boat. Discarded Trash- some people just don't get it. We try to do

our part as well when we visit places

Btw -I was up there this weekend and we trolled Silver lake on Friday with no joy. We talked to other boaters and some shore folks by the ramp and nothing at that time.

We ended up getting in on the perch bite at Crowley which I'll report on a separate thread. On the way up we fished the Owens river outside Big Pine and also Lone Pine Creek on

the way home this afternoon with two fish caught and released using Thomas buoyant and a mini jig. Missed a large one and it tore one of my sierra slammer swimjigs up.

Good luck out there next time.

Silver is such a fishy looking lake if you have a boat. Someday we'll give it a try. The other fishermen said they are planting this week with June. Timing the plants seems like the only way to get bit right now around the loop.

Looking forward to your report.

Interesting fact about Silver Lake. It still holds the California state record for a 9lb 12oz Brook Trout caught in 1932.
    Years ago we talked about introducing brook trout from Lake Nipignon in Canada to try and recreate the fishery. Unlike the Eastern Brook trout that reproduce by the first year, their Canadian cousins sexually mature at 4 years old. The result is that energy is directed toward growth and not reproduction. Idea died during one of the CDFW purges of biologists in the Bishop office.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
    Interesting fact about Silver Lake. It still holds the California state record for a 9lb 12oz Brook Trout caught in 1932.
    Years ago we talked about introducing brook trout from Lake Nipignon in Canada to try and recreate the fishery. Unlike the Eastern Brook trout that reproduce by the first year, their Canadian cousins sexually mature at 4 years old. The result is that energy is directed toward growth and not reproduction. Idea died during one of the CDFW purges of biologists in the Bishop office.
    Intresting, thanks for the info. Still one of my favorite lakes and I'll keep coming back every year, the scenery in the fall and being on the water it's so nice there. My first time up there was 2008 and we try to come up every Oct, but this year due to work schedules we came up late Aug.