Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: LA lakes open?

Default LA lakes open?

Hey guys, I'm trying to find lakes within LA city that are open but I'm running into mixed or confusing results. What lakes are open and do you suggest for bass, trout, crappie? Thanks so much. And what are the licensing requirements for LA city fishing? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo View Post
    Hey guys, I'm trying to find lakes within LA city that are open but I'm running into mixed or confusing results. What lakes are open and do you suggest for bass, trout, crappie? Thanks so much. And what are the licensing requirements for LA city fishing? Thanks again!
    All of them are open and all of them require a fishing License. As for Crappie, Puddingstone is your best bet! (that's still iffy) Trout are out of Season till November. (even when Nov hit's, I doubt they will stock much this year!) Bass is your best bet! Every pond has them, some are just better then others!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    All of them are open and all of them require a fishing License. As for Crappie, Puddingstone is your best bet! (that's still iffy) Trout are out of Season till November. (even when Nov hit's, I doubt they will stock much this year!) Bass is your best bet! Every pond has them, some are just better then others!
    Awesome! Which ones do you recommend the most for bass? I'm in the Hollywood area, but will travel wherever. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    All of them are open
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo View Post
    ... but I'm running into mixed or confusing results.
    Lincoln Park near my hood still has the "no fishing" signs that have been put up there since June.

In typical LA Parks and Rec fashion, its easier to leave the signs up since it reduces the amount of work (trash, bathroom cleaning, etc) that needs to be done.

So i get you when you say you're running into mixed or confusing results.

(I bet Echo Park doesn't have those signs, though.)

I took a picture of the signs at Lincoln and the phone number but I must have deleted them, after trying to call the phone number and never receiving a person that answers it on the other end for weeks.

In any case, the DFG is probably not stocking the 10 lbs of trout that they usually do during the winter, and the probabilities of any city park having hold over trout is slim to none. I know some parks have a crappie population, but not enough to even target. Most crappie catches are bycatch.

Most lakes have bass, although i know Lincoln had a huge bass kill during the summer, when they turned off the filtration and fountain, at the same time they put up those "No Fishing" signs. I know Echo Park has a population, thanks to the bucket brigade stocking them after the lake was drained years ago.

Other lakes have decent populations too! Google Maps is a good resource to find those blue spots, and Google Search is a good resource to find out if they have fish.

And like eTucks said, make sure you have your license. I haven't seen a DFG Warden in over 2 years on major lakes, and over a decade at a City Park Lake, but you never know! Don't be "that guy."

Have you tried that little tiny lake over there at Reseda it has trout, catfish, bass, bluegill, sunfish, and carp. I'm going there today in 4 hours il be leaving my house and heading there.