Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Some surf advice.

Default Some surf advice.

Well I was wondering if I could get some advice on some surf fishing I have been trying to attempt. My target fish is leopard sharks, I'm not looking for any secret spots or secret methods just some advice to help my chances. I have been to multiple beaches San Clemente , Dana point, Newport and others. I'm throwing Mac and squid with a 12 ft rod on 30lb braid, 80 pound leader for my slider which is a 8oz pyramid weight attached to a 40pound steal braid leader 10 inch with a 5/0 circle. Now I have dragged my girls, I have 3 children all girls , on these fishing trips to spark the love and enjoyable memories fishing did for me as a kid. And plus daddy wants that 5ft leopard lol. I'm running into keeping my bait out.. it just keeps coming in and if I seem to get it out there far enough which I believe I am getting passed the breakers I'm coming up short or pull in weeds that resemble the swamp thing. I've been fishing the later times because I can't find a beach that doesn't have anyone on it in the morning or the middle of the day.. if I am missing something obvious then I apologize I am very new to surf fishing .. reading waves and knowledge you definitely need to fish the waves. Like I said any knowledge or advice that your willing to give would be awesome and I would be much obliged

Only my thoughts, there are other surf rats that spend more time out there. AS far as dealing with drifts, salad, etc - that is just reading the area and the conditions. Places that are perfect one day can be "salad out" a few days (or hours) later if the tides, currents, or offshore conditions bring a change. As far as your target species, I'm not saying they can't be caught right now, but I have always understood that the peak time for Leopards, is usually in the spring when the females come in for spawning. March/April/May type of thing, but I could be misinformed. Good luck. Plenty of species to focus on off the beach. - john

This might be a good place to start;

https://surffishingsocalsd.com/leopard-shark-fishing/

There is also a place called American Sea Fishing that does guided Leopard shark fishing from the surf. I have found it is worth it sometimes to pay someone for their experience vs. spend tons of time and money learning as you go. Especially if you are trying to get kids into it, first time I took my son out he was 7 and went to DVL with a guide that put him on some bass and now he wants to go out every time I do and has gotten pretty good for a 9 year old.

Look I am just getting into surf fishing too. But what I have gathered so far is the tide you have to understand the tide. Check out Youtube Hook2Cook that guy kills up north of Santa Barbara. But if I was you I would try for perch and rockfish by the rocks. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Your rig sounds fine but get yourself some sputnik weights if you want your rig to stay stable until you get bit. Not suggested for real rocky beaches because they do hang up. I'm a true believer that the best Leo bait is a chunk of surf perch if you can find them this time of year ;)

https://anglerwithin.com/a-sputnik-w...eople%20anyway.

They wont roll at all. Just make sure that you set your rod in a tall sand spike to keep your line over the weed infested shore break and you should be fine.

Good luck on the kitty hunt ;)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Your rig sounds fine but get yourself some sputnik weights if you want your rig to stay stable until you get bit. Not suggested for real rocky beaches because they do hang up. I'm a true believer that the best Leo bait is a chunk of surf perch if you can find them this time of year ;)

https://anglerwithin.com/a-sputnik-w...eople%20anyway.

They wont roll at all. Just make sure that you set your rod in a tall sand spike to keep your line over the weed infested shore break and you should be fine.

Good luck on the kitty hunt ;)

Mike
    My buddy uses croaker he catches
    Earlier in the day.
    Them Leo’s can’t resist fresh croaker!!!!

CM

One more bit of advice for Leos is just remember that they are scavengers pretty much. They like to swim along just on the other side of the break. Long casts are usually into the bat ray zone. Pretty much all I'm saying is don't worry about heaving your offerings very far if your primary target is Leo's.
    Last edited by bones; 08-27-2020 at 07:58 PM.

I only surf cast, your setup is good, your bait is what they are known for eating. Not too sure of croaker. You will catch 9 times out of 10, guitar fish, A.K.A shovel nose shark and rays. The higher the tide the better. I always walk out to about my waist and cast as far out as I can, if I need to come in some, I just reel it in slowly until its tight. I then put it in a PVC rod holder I made and start using my ci4+ 4k for perch.. If you are new to surf casting, you really should start with perch or you will get disgruntled targeting
    sharks.
    Things you will learn quickly;
    1. dealing with sting rays, you will become fearless of them and will know how to get them back in the water without getting stung.
    2. dealing with seagulls, you will learn to cover up and put away anything you're not using or it will be taken by those damn birds.
    3. skunk is not just an stinky animal

Neat post! I loved the skunk part.

Quote Originally Posted by h00ker View Post
    I only surf cast, your setup is good, your bait is what they are known for eating. Not too sure of croaker. You will catch 9 times out of 10, guitar fish, A.K.A shovel nose shark and rays. The higher the tide the better. I always walk out to about my waist and cast as far out as I can, if I need to come in some, I just reel it in slowly until its tight. I then put it in a PVC rod holder I made and start using my ci4+ 4k for perch.. If you are new to surf casting, you really should start with perch or you will get disgruntled targeting
    sharks.
    Things you will learn quickly;
    1. dealing with sting rays, you will become fearless of them and will know how to get them back in the water without getting stung.
    2. dealing with seagulls, you will learn to cover up and put away anything you're not using or it will be taken by those damn birds.
    3. skunk is not just an stinky animal