My grandson is turning 4 soon so I figure it's about time to light his interest in fishing. Obviously, the best way to do this is to actually get him on some fish. And conversely, for a kid his age at least, probably the worst thing would be soaking a line with zero action. I was considering doing the trout farm thing but after a quick internet search, it looks like there aren't any trout farms left in So Cal except for the Santa Ana River Lakes Huckleberry Pond, which seems kind of pricy at $8 a pound. So...

Anybody have any recommendation of where would be a good place to take him where we could have a real good chance of catching something. And by something I don't really care what it is. Even a few 4" bluegill would be good as long as there was some action for him. We'll be CPR'ing probably everything unless it's something extremely large, unusual, or if it looks like it won't survive the release. I'd prefer to just fish from shore for this so nothing that would require a boat.

My initial thoughts are maybe Irvine Lake or maybe Perris but I'm open to almost anywhere. Maybe even, if it comes down to it, biting the bullet and doing the Santa Ana River Lakes Huckleberry Pond (has anybody had any experience there? Good or bad?). Also, if anybody has some recommendations on techniques for their recommended location that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

On an interesting note, I still have his father's first rod and reel I bought him when he was 4 years old. I took his dad out to Legg Lake and was actually just teaching him to cast, we weren't seriously fishing yet. I had a Castmaster on the line because I figured they cast good and it would be easier for him to learn. He tossed a cast across a small cove, almost to the opposite bank, and started to reel in and his rod went bendo and he says "Dad, I'm stuck." All of a sudden his "snag" started running down the cove pulling drag. After an extended fight (yes, I had to help him) we land an 8 1/2 pound carp. Never heard of a carp hitting a lure but there it was with the hook right in the corner of its mouth. Not bad for a first fish. So, I think it would be great to get the grandson's first fish on the same rod and reel.