Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Place to take a kid

Default Place to take a kid

My grandson is turning 4 soon so I figure it's about time to light his interest in fishing. Obviously, the best way to do this is to actually get him on some fish. And conversely, for a kid his age at least, probably the worst thing would be soaking a line with zero action. I was considering doing the trout farm thing but after a quick internet search, it looks like there aren't any trout farms left in So Cal except for the Santa Ana River Lakes Huckleberry Pond, which seems kind of pricy at $8 a pound. So...

Anybody have any recommendation of where would be a good place to take him where we could have a real good chance of catching something. And by something I don't really care what it is. Even a few 4" bluegill would be good as long as there was some action for him. We'll be CPR'ing probably everything unless it's something extremely large, unusual, or if it looks like it won't survive the release. I'd prefer to just fish from shore for this so nothing that would require a boat.

My initial thoughts are maybe Irvine Lake or maybe Perris but I'm open to almost anywhere. Maybe even, if it comes down to it, biting the bullet and doing the Santa Ana River Lakes Huckleberry Pond (has anybody had any experience there? Good or bad?). Also, if anybody has some recommendations on techniques for their recommended location that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

On an interesting note, I still have his father's first rod and reel I bought him when he was 4 years old. I took his dad out to Legg Lake and was actually just teaching him to cast, we weren't seriously fishing yet. I had a Castmaster on the line because I figured they cast good and it would be easier for him to learn. He tossed a cast across a small cove, almost to the opposite bank, and started to reel in and his rod went bendo and he says "Dad, I'm stuck." All of a sudden his "snag" started running down the cove pulling drag. After an extended fight (yes, I had to help him) we land an 8 1/2 pound carp. Never heard of a carp hitting a lure but there it was with the hook right in the corner of its mouth. Not bad for a first fish. So, I think it would be great to get the grandson's first fish on the same rod and reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    My grandson is turning 4 soon so I figure it's about time to light his interest in fishing. Obviously, the best way to do this is to actually get him on some fish. And conversely, for a kid his age at least, probably the worst thing would be soaking a line with zero action. I was considering doing the trout farm thing but after a quick internet search, it looks like there aren't any trout farms left in So Cal except for the Santa Ana River Lakes Huckleberry Pond, which seems kind of pricy at $8 a pound. So...

Anybody have any recommendation of where would be a good place to take him where we could have a real good chance of catching something. And by something I don't really care what it is. Even a few 4" bluegill would be good as long as there was some action for him. We'll be CPR'ing probably everything unless it's something extremely large, unusual, or if it looks like it won't survive the release. I'd prefer to just fish from shore for this so nothing that would require a boat.

My initial thoughts are maybe Irvine Lake or maybe Perris but I'm open to almost anywhere. Maybe even, if it comes down to it, biting the bullet and doing the Santa Ana River Lakes Huckleberry Pond (has anybody had any experience there? Good or bad?). Also, if anybody has some recommendations on techniques for their recommended location that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

On an interesting note, I still have his father's first rod and reel I bought him when he was 4 years old. I took his dad out to Legg Lake and was actually just teaching him to cast, we weren't seriously fishing yet. I had a Castmaster on the line because I figured they cast good and it would be easier for him to learn. He tossed a cast across a small cove, almost to the opposite bank, and started to reel in and his rod went bendo and he says "Dad, I'm stuck." All of a sudden his "snag" started running down the cove pulling drag. After an extended fight (yes, I had to help him) we land an 8 1/2 pound carp. Never heard of a carp hitting a lure but there it was with the hook right in the corner of its mouth. Not bad for a first fish. So, I think it would be great to get the grandson's first fish on the same rod and reel.
    I've got 2 "CAN"T MISS BETS!" I've been to both of them in the last 2 weeks so I know their good! Lake Silverwood Marina docks. Cut anchovy on a small weight and it's party down! A fish almost every drop! Dink Stripers but it's something! Lake Wohlford Catfish in a boat. Drift the East end with a split shot and a piece of Sardine and it's guarantee fish!

For a kid that young I highly recommend Yorba Linda park in santa Ana. There's lots of bluegill and bass to be caught with a bobber, worm, and size 12 baitholder hook. There's docks everywhere you can fish from but really there's little fish everywhere. Lots of good memories there.

Fish Dog,

It may be a bit of a drive for you but Jess Ranch Lakes in Apple Valley has a fish pond. Also they have a no skunk policy. So if you pay to fish and have no luck on either of their lakes you can use their no skunk policy for one free fish out of the fish pond per paid admission, until 3:00pm i believe. They will also give you a first fish certificate for your grandson. However I don't know if they are offering this right now due to the current situation with Covid and all, maybe a quick look on their website or a phone call would get you better answers. Good luck wherever you decide to go!

Default Yes sir I was going to suggest the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltfan#1 View Post
    Fish Dog,

It may be a bit of a drive for you but Jess Ranch Lakes in Apple Valley has a fish pond. Also they have a no skunk policy. So if you pay to fish and have no luck on either of their lakes you can use their no skunk policy for one free fish out of the fish pond per paid admission, until 3:00pm i believe. They will also give you a first fish certificate for your grandson. However I don't know if they are offering this right now due to the current situation with Covid and all, maybe a quick look on their website or a phone call would get you better answers. Good luck wherever you decide to go!
    The Mojave Narrows is another option lots of flat land and good spots and other activities once they get bored.

Good job getting the next Generation involved! And some quality family time. Lots of good suggestions above! Other ideas: If you go to Mojave Narrows, the trout Hatchery is about a mile away and is a fun tour , but I believe they are shut down now because of the bacteria infection affecting the trout. Also if you go to some of the mountain lakes (Jenks is a favorite) you can explore nature/woods if the fish aren't biting (and its a lot cooler up there right now). And nailing dink stripers at Silverwood, that's a winner!

Thanks for the replies so far (keep them coming if anybody has any more). Much to consider. The Jess Ranch one may be out though as I checked their website and they have all sorts of COVID restrictions and have closed the fish pond and suspended the "no skunk" policy. It actually would probably have been ideal for my purposes due the the "no skunk" but that's out, at least for now. It will likely be several weeks until I can actually get out somewhere with him so I'll check back on it and see if things change. Other ideas are still welcome.

Is Troutdale still open? It's on Kanan Canyon Rd. in Malibu Canyon. That's a good place to guarantee catching fish. A bit pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
    Is Troutdale still open? It's on Kanan Canyon Rd. in Malibu Canyon. That's a good place to guarantee catching fish. A bit pricey though.
    Nope, it's closed and looks like one of the brush fire in the last couple years got it too. Funny thing if you look at the google street views of it if you're looking from Troutdale Rd the images are from May 2016 and they appear to be opened if you look at the street view images from Kanan Rd. they are from May 2019 and most of the trees look burnt, the buildings are gone and the ponds are empty.