Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sano

Default Sano

Been awile since I fished off My brd. High tide ystrday aftrnoon With the small hammers in greenish with light belly also blue with whitish belly. The small calicos would not leave it alone,was fun and frustraiting cuz they kept short striking it. Did have two pull drag but both came off.
    I dont know too much about the Salt side so the next fish had Me baffled. About a footlong with a cool snake like pattern and fan like fins about the tail section. Kelp fish i identified latter online. Put the rod away cuz the surf got Fun .Hard choice lol. I think maybe the bigger size up on the jig head may have helped with the two that pulled drag. 8 lb seaguar ,7 foot med light spin rod. It was Fun any tips when they are short striking it? Or am I just missing the Intial inhale and pulling too late ? Water felt Cool,about 63 ?Cheers

One thing that might help is to sharpen your hooks, even right out of the package. They tend to stick better even if you're late on the strike. If they pulled drag then it probably wasn't a short strike...you had them but the hook probably didn't penetrate enough to hold them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    One thing that might help is to sharpen your hooks, even right out of the package. They tend to stick better even if you're late on the strike. If they pulled drag then it probably wasn't a short strike...you had them but the hook probably didn't penetrate enough to hold them.
    Good call, I only had a few baits with Me. Just checked that jig head has a super dull hook, I did fish the shore with it a bit. This spot gets sand nearby and In the past have caught a Keeper Halibut Here also a huge Calico in the weeds. Not been settn the hook with a spinning rod much didnt help. Gnna up size the bait and Head to avoid the dinks, maybe braid ? Headed back tmmrw for More. Cheers
    Last edited by Riverdale; 07-31-2020 at 03:19 PM.