Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First time on Perris with a boat

Default First time on Perris with a boat

Got to take my new boat out today with a buddy. We had no clue what we were doing. We have only been shore fisherman for years so this was a whole new beast for us and the fish finder only pinged fish roughly around 15-22ft and they were few and far between. We didn't know where to start what to throw but we literally tried everything under the sun. And that sun today SUCKED. we got skunked hardcore but still had a good time learning the boat, messing with the FF and the trolling motor.

Any suggestions on where and what to fish when it's this hot? The only thing that made us feel a little better was that it looked like no one was catching fish so maybe it was just a really slow day.

P.s. Waverunners are something else. If it's not screaming past us near the shore behind the no wake zone they're launching at the ramp and then sitting there messing with their crap for ten minutes so no one else can launch.

I would probably recommend the east end, find some of the rock piles in the depth range you marked fish. There is also the flooded island top where you see some of the trees sticking up in the middle of the water. There is a lot of brush and rock there and last year I had pretty good luck throwing a swing jig in a bluegill color through there. I prefer to fish off shore as opposed to up shallow I am sure there is some reaction bites to be had but that kind of fishing is hard on my shoulders so I tend to finesse fish the deeper stuff and do ok with that. One exception is top water in the moring up shallow that is pretty fun this time of year. Around the island there are some high spots with rock and brush that may be worth looking at as well.

October, I sent you a PM.

I couldn’t agree more with the advice above. Gotta fish deep!

If you are in to trolling deep (lead core line, etc) going down the face of the dam is a good start, and when you are down at Bernasconi keep in mind there is a deep water channel that pretty much runs from that buoy out in the middle of the lake diagonal right to the south corner of the dam that can hold some big ones. And yeah, lake lice are always an issue at Perris. Enjoy that new boat! - brewcrafter