Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First time on Lake Perris

Default First time on Lake Perris

Got out a little later than I was hoping and fished the east end of the lake in the flooded timber. Landed one and had another get off in the timber but the one that was landed was worth the trip. Surface temp 80 degrees. Fishing in 20-30 ft of water. Any pointers on the lake would be appreciated for any species as I have 3 little ones that I will be looking to get on some bluegill or crappie here soon as the bass fishing is a little slow for them at this point. They had a blast today even though it was slow. Looking forward to learning from all you guys here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	874DD3E5-49C4-4337-8F13-F1A0CA958F6E.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	52794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E7D1EB5F-C2C8-4A18-9E22-78D522C4C6FA.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	52795
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0E4E26D-153F-42CE-A9A9-9C8D91BB18B8.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	52792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18C619BB-639F-4D87-828A-7962564DD15A.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	52793  
    Last edited by BaseballFisher; 07-23-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Thnx for the report and pics!!!
    Talk to you soon’

CM

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
    Thnx for the report and pics!!!
    Talk to you soon’

CM
    Looking forward to it CM

Nice! I haven't fished Perris in years but the few times I did I had great success with wacky rigged senkos near the east side where you were and split shot Aaron's magic roboworms running across some grass beds.

I actually just got my first boat and I'm gonna be hitting up Perris with my buddy. I'll take some pointers too! I've been so wrapped up with saltwater fishing for the last 7 years I almost have forgotten how to fish for bass or what's working where.

The same area you are fishing in the photos look around the bottom a little shallower around 10' and you will see bluegill beds everywhere a second wave just came up last week . Good luck out there

Nice catch! I had high hopes of breaking the DD barrier this year, sadly Covid-19 reared it's ugly head. Didn't catch it, but the outcome looks to have killed my dream. Maybe once the weather starts to cool down I'll get a shot at it. Floating around in my kayak while sizzling in the sun isn't enticing enough to get me back on the water. Caught my current measly 7lb PB in Feb of 2019, but did manage a 6.3lb in November at least.

The east end of the Island is also good for the gills. The North West side of the Island looks to be were the Red Ears like to hangout and spawn. I've seen a couple of dinner plate size gills in other parts of the lake in the past.

Name:	Lake Perris.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	52802

Red arrow....Were I've seen the Red Ears hang out and also spawn.
    Blue arrows....Were I've seen the dinner plate sized gills lurking. East pointing arrow is off the shallow to deep drop.
    Yellow arrow....Were I hooked a dinner plate sized gill, but wound up loosing it. Got tangled up in submerged brush and wound up shaking loose before I could get my net. Was fishing for Bass with a 1/4oz lipless crankbait at the time and at least got my lure back.
    Yellow arrow area....It's also the area the gills like to spawn in.
    Last edited by kenmitch; 07-27-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Misfitdog View Post
    The same area you are fishing in the photos look around the bottom a little shallower around 10' and you will see bluegill beds everywhere a second wave just came up last week . Good luck out there
    Awesome info. Will check it out next time we are out! Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by kenmitch View Post
    Nice catch! I had high hopes of breaking the DD barrier this year, sadly Covid-19 reared it's ugly head. Didn't catch it, but the outcome looks to have killed my dream. Maybe once the weather starts to cool down I'll get a shot at it. Floating around in my kayak while sizzling in the sun isn't enticing enough to get me back on the water. Caught my current measly 7lb PB in Feb of 2019, but did manage a 6.3lb in November at least.

The east end of the Island is also good for the gills. The North West side of the Island looks to be were the Red Ears like to hangout and spawn. I've seen a couple of dinner plate size gills in other parts of the lake in the past.

Name:	Lake Perris.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	52802

Red arrow....Were I've seen the Red Ears hang out and also spawn.
    Blue arrows....Were I've seen the dinner plate sized gills lurking. East pointing arrow is off the shallow to deep drop.
    Yellow arrow....Were I hooked a dinner plate sized gill, but wound up loosing it. Got tangled up in submerged brush and wound up shaking loose before I could get my net. Was fishing for Bass with a 1/4oz lipless crankbait at the time and at least got my lure back.
    Yellow arrow area....It's also the area the gills like to spawn in.
    Thanks for the reply I will give it a shot and see if i can get these young ones on some bluegill. As we all know it just takes feeling the pull a time or two to get them hooked...