Finally paddled my longboard into one of BU kelp areas today. Pleasant day with no wind, warm and schools of smelt making splashes around kelp. Not as much kelp was up as in winter but some patterns were still recognizable. Started slow but then got into a nice drift and the bass were ready to eat plastics. It was a similar show as in past years: in summer there are plenty of calico and sand bass but almost all were short. I missed spring outing (when usually there are fewer fish but bass in 15-20" range). Today I got 10-15 calicos and 5-10 sandies while dragging plastic on bottom between kelp strings. One fun moment was hooking a heavy one near bottom and horsing it up (large sandy?) only to see a color of barely short hali. They do give you a nice fight that way..

A couple nice flurries with multiple calicos chasing and slamming on consecutive casts, few boils on a drop, all good fun but no big ones. Maybe the larger models are less aggressive and small ones get ahead (I prefer to think that), or maybe legals have been fished out.

Wanted to fish boiler rocks but it was weedy there even for a singe hook jig..

Get out there for plenty if C and R as they are hungry and have fun in the Big Blue.