Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: How I Cast My Conventional Reel!

Default How I Cast My Conventional Reel!

How I Set-Up My Conventional Reel In A Minute For Casting!

Casting a conventional reel takes hours of practice. I like to practice at a local soccer field during a weekday when nobody is around. I bring an assortment of casting leads & a spray bottle full of water. Recently someone asked me what he needs to do to switch from casting a spinning rig to a conventional rig. So i put this together from stored pics & vids of the previous year. I actually will take a few practice swings on site as the settings do change if the reel is stored long enough.

I like the Tesoro12's. Much smoother then my Torium 30's. Also the California jigging fleet uses this reel for tuna jigging. Currently i think i'm the ONLY shore caster in Hawaii using Tesoro's from shore. I love how smooth these reels are & the incredible distance i'm getting. In a YouTube video the inventor John Bretza was filmed bringing in a billfish on the smallest model, the 5. There's also a 10.

For short cast i just use a spray bottle to wet the line so my thumbs don't get friction burns. For bombing casts i thumb the side of the spool instead of thumbing the wetted line. I also tilt the reel on a 90° angle to the left (i'm right handed) during the cast. I do this to reduce line sagging induced by gravity. In this area there's a reef finger across from me so placing my casts was more important then distance casting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-83N1NIpvI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	52727