Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bluegills showing up?

Hello IE fisherman. I park in lot 1 or the Sail Cove lot, and walk down to the pier which is probably around 100 yards. However, if you can park on the sand at Sail Cove, it's only about 100 feet to the pier and level, which I would say is pretty close.

With the water level up, it's deeper around the pier now. A lot of times, there are fish right around the pier, like Bluegills, Redears and Bass. Other fish can be reached by casting out. Some people use some strange techniques there. People who were casting dough bait or corn way out for Carp discovered that large Bluegills were biting on those baits too. Other people discovered that dough bait under a slip bobber just cast out a little ways from the pier worked for Bluegills too. I don't do that, but use worms, flies or jigs instead, which probably works a little better, at least for numbers of panfish.

Hey Robert! I am sending you a PM.. Check it out.

Thank you. I'll see if I can make that short walk. It's a drag getting old.

I may be going there tomorrow. I have finally been given the all clear to go outdoors by my cautious wife. LOL

I was out there again today. Unfortunately they don't allow the disabled to park there anymore on the sand. The park staff at the entry said some morons blew it for those who need it. The pier was crowded. I fished the easiest access at 11 and 12 for zero bites. It used to be good for gills but I haven't seen anything landed lately by anyone on shore.

I was on the pier in the afternoon. Yeah, it became somewhat crowded, but people were socially distanced as is normal when fishing. Some people were talking about catching large Bluegill, Bass and Carp from the pier recently, but I only saw a couple of few bass caught where they were hanging out near shore including one that I caught. (I got several bites there and one farther out but missed the other bites.) However, one guy mentioned that small Bluegill were biting by the brush near shore closer to the Sail Cove parking lot. I eventually went there and quickly caught several 6 inch bluegill. Then I ran out of worms. LOL I was going hoping to keep some to eat, but they were a bit small, pretty though.

I was there until about 2:30 PM. I drive a blue Honda Accord. At Sail Cove near those bathrooms or further down toward the dam?

I got there about an hour later than that after my wife's friend left from visiting us. The specific place where I caught the Bluegills was just to the left of the nonfunctional concrete ramp that goes down into the lake with the high water level, to the left of a bunch of brush that is partially inundated by the lake. This is a little ways to the left of the bathrooms. The guy on the pier mentioned that spot and one other one in the area, but the other one was already occupied. I casted out just beyond the brush to the left of it, and bites were very quick but all the fish were on the small side. The rest of my worms disappeared very quickly once I went there. I tried a jig but they didn't seem to go for it. Flies might have worked but it was getting late so I went home.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 06-18-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12