Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are they going to drain Irvine Lake dry in 2 years?

Default Are they going to drain Irvine Lake dry in 2 years?

I heard last year they were going to re pipe Irvine Lake in a few years. I naturally assumed they would draw it down and do the work. Now I hear a rumor their going to drain it dry to do the work! Can anyone with knowledge confirm or deny this? If they are going to drain it dry, is their any plan to save the more valuable fish? Please anyone out their with knowledge please share what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I heard last year they were going to re pipe Irvine Lake in a few years. I naturally assumed they would draw it down and do the work. Now I hear a rumor their going to drain it dry to do the work! Can anyone with knowledge confirm or deny this? If they are going to drain it dry, is their any plan to save the more valuable fish? Please anyone out their with knowledge please share what you know!
    My friend knows the family who is currently operating the lake. They told him they have a two year lease on the lake, so for now, the lake won't be drained for at least another year.

If there are going to be refugee fish from Irvine which no longer have a home, I would like to nominate Puddingstone as a “Sanctuary Lake.” ��

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
    If there are going to be refugee fish from Irvine which no longer have a home, I would like to nominate Puddingstone as a “Sanctuary Lake.” ��
    The amount of fish in there is incredible! I read some where years ago their was 150,000 Bass in there alone! They could put 10,000 lbs of Bass in all of their 12 park ponds in Orange County. They would still have left over fish for other lakes! Imagine putting in 20,000 lbs of Crappie in Tri City lake! (it's a good lake to do it in because they have shad in there for them to eat) How about those 50 pound catfish in LNL! (wouldn't that be neat)

p.s. If they don't have a plan, "I have a plan!" Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-23-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Tri-City has huge crappie in it already, I saw some plants being made on a couple of evenings, SLABS being put in there too, LOIDS dude. But this was 15 yrs ago too.

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    Tri-City has huge crappie in it already, I saw some plants being made on a couple of evenings, SLABS being put in there too, LOIDS dude. But this was 15 yrs ago too.
    I grew up in Southern CA and catching Crappie when I was growing up was no big deal! I would catch 50 in an afternoon in just the local ponds! Slowly but surely all the Crappie lakes in Southern CA went basically dry! Who remembers the bite at places like Henshaw, Perris, Vail, Irvine and Elsinore! Forget about the Local ponds! Now you basically have to go to Izzy, Piru, Hodges, Cachuma or Wohlford! Yes we finally figured out the Wohlford Crappie! We got 14 last Saturday and they were all nice! (1 1/2 average) The point being, those Irvine Lake Crappie among other fish need a new home! It would be a crime if they were all allowed to die when they drain it!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-23-2020 at 06:45 PM.

If that is going to happen, maybe they'll let people on the lake to catch fish to transfer, our bass club did that back in the day on Oso when Rick Mendoza had the gig at LNL- a bunch of bass from Oso went to Laguna Niguel, I think he got crappie from Cuyamaca too

Quote Originally Posted by bassnet View Post
    If that is going to happen, maybe they'll let people on the lake to catch fish to transfer, our bass club did that back in the day on Oso when Rick Mendoza had the gig at LNL- a bunch of bass from Oso went to Laguna Niguel, I think he got crappie from Cuyamaca too
    The crappie did come from Cuyamaca’

CM

Quote Originally Posted by bassnet View Post
    I was at LNL in my float tube that day they put loads of LMB in from Oso. Was pretty cool to see!

Someone mentioned Cuyamaca Crappie. Their is a mismanagement story of the century when it came to Crappie. That lake use to be full of them, but they were a little on the smaller side. We went the last year you could catch a boatload of them. When we got there, we found the strangest rule on Crappies. Their was no catch and release on them! If you caught one you had to kill it! Guess what????? I haven't heard a thing on Crappie in that lake in a decade! I wonder why????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast