Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Pier Trams - 1960s - 1970s and before

Default Pier Trams - 1960s - 1970s and before

I was wondering if anybody remembers the trams they had on several of the local piers back in the '60s and maybe '70s and even before? Several piers had sportfishing boats and live bait shacks operation out on the end of the pier and you'd pay the tram driver like 10 cents to dive you and all your gear out to the end to fish or to catch the 1/2 day boat. Anybody got any pictures of these trams? I'm positive that the HB pier, NB pier, and the Seal Beach pier had them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    I was wondering if anybody remembers the trams they had on several of the local piers back in the '60s and maybe '70s and even before? Several piers had sportfishing boats and live bait shacks operation out on the end of the pier and you'd pay the tram driver like 10 cents to dive you and all your gear out to the end to fish or to catch the 1/2 day boat. Anybody got any pictures of these trams? I'm positive that the HB pier, NB pier, and the Seal Beach pier had them. Thanks.
    I rode the tram in the 1970's on the Seal Beach all the time to catch the Half-Day boat. Thinking back 10 cents even back then was way too cheap!

I went back and did another search and actually came up with a couple of pictures. First is the HB Pier tram, powered by a WII era Jeep, taken probably in the late '40s or early '50s...

...and then I found the Seal Beach pier tram taken back in the '50s. I'm thinking that's a little aircraft tractor powering this one...

Last edited by Fish Dog; 06-01-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Belmont pier had one
    And bait tank at the T
    Of the pier,,,,,

Cm

Seal beach had a tram too. I think the fair was a dime. Good halibut spot at the piers end, and the tram saved a long walk with gear in hand. Something like that would probably not be legal today.